Chicken for a wedding.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

modernmanbbq

Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Maryland
Hello, I'm being asked to do a wedding this Fall for 200 people. They want me to do chicken thighs and macaroni and cheese. I don't have all the details but I'm assuming there is going to be other meat and sides offered. How much food should I plan for?

Two thighs and 1.5C of mac-n-cheese per person.
Add enough extra to account for several dropped plates and a few people begging for second helpings.

Dang Bro, you must love your Mac-n-Cheese!:) 1/2C is a general side portion, especially with multiple meats and sides. 1 pound raw Elbows or Shells with Cheese Sauce will yield about 16 portions with a 3-4 portion pad for seconds or bigger eaters...JJ

Reactions: wade
Here is a great calculator for figuring out the amounts you need for a large group.
Hope this helps!
Al

Attachments

• CateringV306.xls
    91.5 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: BKING!
I think it depends on if it's buffet style or a more formal sit down.

Good luck either way that's going to be a whole lot of food.

Chris

What are you cooking all this chicken on?
Are you planning on smoking the Mac & Cheese?
I'm smoking the chicken. I have a pig smoker that can hopefully hold about 100 pieces. The mac & cheese will not be smoked. It will be made in the oven.

I'm smoking the chicken. I have a pig smoker that can hopefully hold about 100 pieces. The mac & cheese will not be smoked. It will be made in the oven.
I find that on average a 2" full hotel pan of mac n cheese feeds 40 people and the same of baked beans feeds 65-70 people.
Chicken thighs are pretty tolerate...good luck with your cook!!

Dang Bro, you must love your Mac-n-Cheese!:) 1/2C is a general side portion, especially with multiple meats and sides. 1 pound raw Elbows or Shells with Cheese Sauce will yield about 16 portions with a 3-4 portion pad for seconds or bigger eaters...JJ
LOL, yes I do, not that I eat it very often though.

Because I was thinking that it'll likely be an informal buffet and people tend to load their plate generously at buffets.
And it is an unknown what other food may be there, but I can't see just chicken and Mac-n-Cheese without some other entree/sides choices.
1/2C is a very small side portion, c'mon that maybe 5-6 spoonfuls? I always feel like I'm getting ripped off with sides that small. 1C is just about right and another half a cup is generous.
If I'm having food catered at a wedding the last thing I want as the host or caterer is miserly servings.
Man, y'all see the way I cook and load a plate. If I was a caterer I'd be pushing larger portions and higher prices.

We are cut from the same fabric. I too love mac & chz and would likely take 1-1.5C to cover half the plate, with meat weighing down the other half! I don't need no stinkin' Vegetables...BUT...We are a small percentage, especially at a wedding. The ladies between 18 and 40 are too worried about how they appear to each other and the single men to EVER be seen pigging out on half a plate of ANYTHING, let alone mac & cheese! If they even try some, it will be a fork full with a sampling of other items. The guys eat more, yes, but the plate will be meat laden with a "slightly" larger than average portion of their favorite side and a sampling of other stuff that looks good. This is why, with sides, you can figure 2-4 oz portions, with the ladies eating less leaving more for Guys like us.
My Dad was notorious for going to a family event or buffet restaurant and eating nothing but meat. IF there was Shrimp on the buffet, he would fill a plate for an app, fill up again as the entree and sides, taking a salad plate of other meat, to not look like he was eating just shrimp and follow up with another plate load of shrimp for dessert! If the meal was plated and served, Dad always generously tipped the tables server to bring out extra meat when the room had been served. At one memorable wedding, the entree was a choice of Filet Mignon or Crab Stuffed Flounder. As the room settled in to eat, the server showed up with 8 additional servings of BOTH beef and fish! One of each for each guest at our table! She later brought out a To-Go container for the few remaining portions we were too stuffed to eat.:p...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky