chicken drumsticks today!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wvsmokeman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 17, 2006
West Virginia
I managed to get in a little smoke time this morning. Smoked 14 chicken drumsticks (rubbed with a little garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and salt) and used this nifty leg & wing rack I picked up at Lowe's. Kept the smoker at 275-300 degrees F and about 1 1/2 hours later I pulled them at 175 degrees internal. Got them wrapped up for supper later. I did taste one and it was falling off the bone juicy/tender. Smoking Meat Rules!!

PS Also did a fatty and some ABT's but they vanished before I could snap a picture.
redface.gif

0c3820d3_vbattach14065.jpg

that is a neat little "toy". Wish I wasn't 5hrs from a lowes!

Did you brine your legs?

Boy, that could be taken the wrong way.

Nice little rack...was in the local Lowes yesterday, looking for that Oregon scientific wireless digital temp.. no gots...didn't see any of those racks either...sometimes I think these stores in the NE don't think anyone wants or knows what all the little goodies are for...

Richard, try live'n in the plains; ie w. kansas. They are just now starting to play Garth Brooks on the radio!
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
We won't see that niffty chicken leg holder for another 15 yrs!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Cool little rack, how many little legs will it hold? Seeing how I have the little GOSM, I am limited to space. I have a rib rack that will hold 3 racks.And I made a ABT rack that'll hold 24. So next will be that little drum stick holder, right after work tomorrow.

Al..
Talk about living in the "dark ages"...I'm on a mission now...I'll find them suckers...and I'll get one and send it to ya..that's a promise...

Wally World have them here, been goen to get some ,just ain't done it yet.

The rack will hold 12 legs or wings. You can actually lay a few on top and get closer to 16-18 depending on the size.

Richard -

They don't have them at Waterford Lowes either so don't bother heading down this way. No Oregon Scientific thermometers either.

Wv...
Thanks ...have to check out the links also...when I go to a store... I like to have something in my hand, when I get home , instead of having to order things...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yes, they look great. I use the drumstick/wing rack too, and fits perfect on the lower rack on UDS. I do a 12 hour brine and then rub (add cayenne and cut salt down) them, then cook at 365 (crisp the skin) with some pecan wood chunks tossed in and pull at 175 IT. 

Edit  - I do not use the pan on the bottom that comes with the rack. I like the juices to hit the coals and increase the flavor.

Last edited:
Hey Al,   you don't have to go to Lowe's for the drumstick rack .  You can find it at BRINKMANN.COM                                          (CHICKEN WING & LEG RACK)    I found mine on Amazon...shipped to me in two days.

CAUTION:   Be sure to assembled the rack as per their instructions.  The legs will fold down,  but that "ain't"  right..  Follow the instructions for assembly or the rack will  collapse ..........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky