Chicken and Bacon Wieners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
Made these up a couple weeks ago, but haven't had the time to post them.

I've been playin around with sausage for better then 25 years and this is the first time I've done one with chicken.They came out pretty good, I used my standard wiener recipe but cut down on the salt since the bacon was already salted. I also left out the cure, they got poached right after stuffing so they'd be a cooked sausage and didn't need it.

Here's how it went.

Started with a small whole chicken and deboned it, got about 2.5 pounds of meat out of it. layed it out on a tray, then froze it solid. then sliced it up for the grinder. This worked really well, first time I did anything totally frozen.

398417159.jpg

Added about 3/4 pound of smoked bacon,

398343404.jpg

ground everything through a medium plate then mixed it all together with the spices and ground it through a fine plate. then stuffed into 26 mm plastic casings and poached them in a pot of water @ 170° till they got to 152° internal. next into a cold shower and stripped of there casings.

BAM, Chicken and Bacon wieners.

398417164.jpg

First test patch,

398343467.jpg

And of course all dressed up,

398417169.jpg

Last but not least.... a sliced view.

398343449.jpg

Overall I'd give them a 7 out of 10. I would have like more of a smoke flavor from the bacon and they were just a little on the salty side for me. but over all pretty dang good for chicken.
Thanks for checkin out my sausages,

/ message sig

That's gotta be awesome with the bacon in there, Dan!!!

I can see the dilemma---More bacon, more salty?---Less bacon, less smoky??

Heaven forbid---keep the recipe the same, but add a little liquid smoke??

I never use it, but maybe that would solve it?

Just wondering,

Bear

That's gotta be awesome with the bacon in there, Dan!!!

I can see the dilemma---More bacon, more salty?---Less bacon, less smoky??

Heaven forbid---keep the recipe the same, but add a little liquid smoke??

I never use it, but maybe that would solve it?

Just wondering,

Bear
Thanks Bear, I got the liquid smoke and ain't afaid to use it..

As far as the salt goes, I could have actually calulated the amount of salt in the bacon and deducted acordingly but I just winged it. I should have known better.

Next time I might cure the chicken and stuff into a sheep casing and give it real smoke

Last edited:
They look good sitting on the bun with mustard. 

I could just take a bite out of my computer screen!

Not a Chicken Wiener kind of guy...was Grossed out by them back in the 70's...But those look good Dan!...JJ

Not a Chicken Wiener kind of guy...was Grossed out by them back in the 70's...But those look good Dan!...JJ

Man I hear ya Jimmy....Maybe thats why it took me 26 years to try it. But the truth be known I can make a good pork sausage out of a shoulder cheaper then out of a chicken  I think. Would have to do the math, but figuren I put half the chicken in the stock pot (bones, fat, skin and a litle meat ) that bird for sausage meat was about $1.80 a pound (.90 a pound for whole birds) I can still get a bone in butt for $1.29 and use 90% of it

Man I hear ya Jimmy....Maybe thats why it took me 26 years to try it. But the truth be known I can make a good pork sausage out of a shoulder cheaper then out of a chicken  I think. Would have to do the math, but figuren I put half the chicken in the stock pot (bones, fat, skin and a litle meat ) that bird for sausage meat was about $1.80 a pound (.90 a pound for whole birds) I can still get a bone in butt for $1.29 and use 90% of it

Yeah, but look at all the fun you're having experimenting---"Dan the Mad Hot Dog Scientist".  
icon14.gif

Bear

Then again, you got some great chicken stock! LOL

Good luck and good smoking.

Ok ya got me Venture, the wife made a heck of a chicken soup out of it the other night.

But still prefer the pig

Ok Dan

You got me hooked. I am giving these a try soon. I just got 13 # of belly for bacon so this may end up being a double whammy

ahh man I am at work and all I get to see is the old red X in the box....

will have to check out the Q when I get home bet it looks great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky