cheese aging ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Ponchatoula Louisiana
I smoked a block of cheddar for 4 hours using AMNS and hickory dust. I then vacuum sealed it and it now sits in the fridge. How long should I wait before cutting it up for consumption?  I have heard anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks . 

A minimum of 2 weeks. The longer it sits the better it gets. If you taste it before 2 weeks it will have a bitter taste to it.

If it is a big block, remove some and reseal for a test. It mellows with time... heck, cut it into 4 pieces and reseal each.... test at 1 week intervals...

Bet you can't wait 4 weeks....
biggrin.gif
...  Dave

I cut mine into smaller pieces, let them sit out and soften a bit and then smoke. Vac-pack and into the fridge for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better.

I have kept it as long as 90 days and honestly the longer the better.  I smoke cheese once a month so I always have some aging and some ready to use. Next time try some mozzarella and stuff into meatballs for some meatball sammies. 

I have 5 packages sitting in the fridge now and I am going to open them up when we have a early Xmas at my parents and then the following week which will be on Xmas so they will be resting for 3 weeks and 4 weeks. This will be the first time that I have rested my cheese so I can't wait to try it. Before I knew  what I was doing I would eat the cheese right away and wonder why it tasted like a burnt stick. Now that I know you need to let it mellow I can't wait to see the outcome. I haven't smoked cheese for a few years so the wait it killing me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky