Cheep charcoal exp propain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mco

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
albuquerque,nm
Wouldn't you just know it. now that I've converted my brinkman s & p to gas all these good deals pop up for charcoal. Two smokes and the tanks empty, so that about $9.00 each, and now I can get charcoal for $2 or 3 bucks for 18lbs. Any way back to the subject. I'm gonna do a couple racks of ribs and a couple chickens this coming weekend. What I want to try is this. I'm going to load up the can with charcoal, I'll punch a few holes for air, and put it on the burner. Hopefully I'll be able to save a little by using both gas and charcoal. Any thoughts or Ideas on what I have in mind. One other thing this is what I want for Christmas

http://dustinsgunblog.blogspot.com/2...rill-ever.html

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

What size tank? How long was the smoke? What temp were you running the smoker at?

I can get a 17 hour brisket smoke and a 9 hour butt smoke out of one tank easy. And that's at about a 240° smoker temp.

Dave

Hey Dave
Guess that wasn't completely correct, I smoked 2 chickens @ about 300, and 3 hours and 1 rack of ribs for 6 hours @ 240 so that would be approx 12 hours, plus the time I spent just playing with it, and the tank isn't completely empty but pretty close, and its 5 gal.and did you check out that grill.

http://dustinsgunblog.blogspot.com/2...rill-ever.html

That's my average time on a tank.

Same here and I use a GOSM charcoal smoker converted to propane. As to the can idea. I use a large coffee can turned on its side and punch with holes. I add several chunks or charcoal briquettes to the can, then throw my wood of choice in the can also. This still allows for alittle of the charcoal flavor some propane users might miss.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky