Delete

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Holly, Foam would have time for cheese... Iffin his sister would stop bringing him 150#'s of shrimp ,at one time, to process...

Holly, Foam would have time for cheese... Iffin his sister would stop bringing him 150#'s of shrimp ,at one time, to process...

Bah! I put up 9 jars of Pineapple jelly, separated, washed,checked enough sheep casings for stix, ground, spiced and mixed in the pepperoni spices with the meat yesterday, LOL

Today's slow, its HOT, all my TV shows are ending their seasons tonight but I might get those bags of shrimp re-established in the freezer and stuff those stix yet tonight.

I need more experiment time to do cheese. Thats no small process.

Thanks for the great instructions. I have always wanted to make cheese and after reading through this I may just give this a try when I have a weekend to do so.

Thanks
Link

Bump to thank Holly2015 for bringing attention to cheese, my other favourite meat!

because of another thread that got the cheese into two forums, i have a renewed interest, and also appreciate the link to that "Other" cheese forum!

This is something I want to do, as in Canada, cheese is SOOO Expensive. (anyone following the Canada/USA NAFTA issues?)

So to save some money, and make good eats, I want to try this, and now.... I can learn HOW!

Thanks Holly!

300% tarrif's are the problem....

Holly, evening.... Just going over the recipe and I noticed.... Add 0.08 grams of calcium chloride to 3 gallons of milk... Did I miss something ??

Reactions: nanuk
nanuk, morning... I just heard an agreement to TRADE was reached with Canada... "Maybe" prices on dairy will come down for you folks.. Haven't heard the details yet...

Friends of mine traveled through Canada earlier this year and they universally commented on how much higher food costs were in Canada opposed to the USA. The average full breakfast was in the $25 to $30 range and simple BE&C breakfast sandwich was around $11. One of my buddies was hung up an a small container of baked beans (about a 1/3rd cup) was $6.

If you are having trouble getting cheese making supplies at an affordable cost let me know. It might work out for me to buy in the US and then ship "Art Supplies" to you.
I am not sure where your friend ate but i've never seen brekafast price of $25+. 25$ is on the pricey side even for lunch. A brekfast sandwidch at a&w is less than 7$ (with coffee and hashbrowns)

But, yes, food is more expensive here. So are gas, cars, alcohol, smokes and SMOKERS

Looks like they just agreed to drop the dairy tarrifs....i doubt we will see a drop in the price of cheese.

Holly, morning.... I've been reading up on cheddar cheese... I don't understand how "aging" in a vac bag can age / sharpen the flavor... could it be anerobic bacteria ?? Most sites recommend air circulation and humidity control.. It's beyond me how a vac-bag can contribute to proper aging...

When I smoke and store cheeses, I wrap in plastic wrap then vac-seal.. A lot easier to remove from the vac-bag... My "old" vac sealer was the original "Food Saver" Italian model ... It sucked pretty good... My "new" sealer is a vacmaster pro 140... It sucks so well that it has destroyed my vacuum canisters by collapsing and cracking them... STUPID ME... I think there is not much "air" left to any adequate aging.... I'm reluctant to reduce the vacuum as the cheeses "could" mold or somehow go bad, as they would without vacuum sealing...
It would really tick me off to make cheese and have it come out bland... I'm obviously over thinking all this stuff... but to go to the costs and work I'm expecting a superior product to store bought...
I have access to Amish dairy products... Their butter is sooooooo darn good.. they sell whole milk also... I can't recall if it's pasteurized but not a problem.. I will pasteurize it prior to use...

Pasteurizing milk is a simple concept: the recommendation is to heat milk to 161 degrees for 15 seconds (please note that this is far gentler than grocery store pasteurized milk, which is heated to nearly 300 degrees!) or to 145 degrees for 30 minutes.

I'm thinking the lower temp for a longer period would produce a better final product...
http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-milk-news/story/how-to-pasteurize-raw-milk-at-home/

I would set up a double boiler, type thing, using my sous-vide...

I think I may wrap the cheese in Tyvek... Food and medical grade... I plan on doing some charcuterie, using it also..
Tyvek ® used in sterile medical device packaging and in direct food contact applications are neither corona nor antistatic treated. These products end in the letter B, such as Tyvek ®1059B.

outstanding resistance to microbial penetration In test after test, Tyvek®held out bacterial spores and test particles better than other porous packaging materials—even under the most rigorous conditions .
What’s more, a long-term shelf-life study proved conclusively that Tyvek® can maintain sterility for at
least five years if package integrity is not compromised .
The photomicrographs shown here illustrate how bacteria are trapped on the fiber surfaces of Tyvek®

http://www2.dupont.com/Medical_Packaging/fr_FR/assets/downloads/DMP903_Tech_Services_Manual_rd01.pdf

1 thumbs up.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky