charcoal to lp

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by the big dawg, May 26, 2007.

1. the big dawg

the big dawg Newbie

I have a Brinkman Vertical Smoker that is charcoal and am thinking about replacing the charcoal bowl with the burner from a turkey fryer.

It should be pretty easy but I have not trying fitting it in there yet.

Anyone every do something like this?

2. the big dawg

the big dawg Newbie

3. Did you ever convert your charcoal brinkman over to the turkey fryer burner ? i am thinking of doing this.

4. kueh

kueh Meat Mopper

There may be a problem of getting the burner to sustain a low temparature. A turkey fryer burner is designed to put out a lot of heat.

5. i have a brinkman smoke n pit which has an offset box. i went to propane with no problem.you need a low pressure regulator and i placed a valve that come from the regulator and attach to the hose. i can adjust the gas/flame way down no problems.

6. the big dawg

the big dawg Newbie

Not yet but I am still shopping for ideas.

The local Menards sells the burners for about $22.00.

7. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

I was thinking just cut a hole in the bottom and lower the smoker on top. Throw a cast iron skilet on it for the wood chunks and use the water bowl on top of that.

If you need the fryer again just lift it off. [​IMG]

8. billyq

billyq Smoking Fanatic

Debi is right on. I do have one sugestion, though. I would try and fabricate something that lifts your chip tray at least a few inches above the burner. My 2 gas smokers have about a one inch clearance between the burner and chip tray.

9. Debi that is exactly what I was thinking .

10. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Should work and why limit your fryer you might need it to brew beer![​IMG]

11. smokincowboy

smokincowboy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

you might try a side burner from an old grill I have one in a homemade smoker. the best thing is these old grills are setting out a lot when people get new grills mine works great (Just a sugestion)