charcoal to electric

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

orng95bagdacord

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
ok so my dad gimme a vertical smoker this weekend he never used to its n great shpae but i already have one charcoal smoker. i want to turn this into and electric smoker do i just need to get an element for the botton of this?.....also waht do i do whit the water pan when i do the conversion do i keep it and use water or os this a no no?....thanks for the info guys!

I converted my bullet to electric years ago and have since gone back to charcoal. The electric worked ok but cook times are longer and I found that keeping temps up was difficult at times. I did continue to use the water pan in mine. It is convenient as no charcoal to fiddle with but I was always fighting to keep temps up. I found that starting out with boiling water in the pan helped to bring it up to speed faster. Maybe eliminating the water pan would work out, I never tried that. Let me know what you find out!

soo do u just add wood on top on the element or do use a basket of any sort, did u use charcoal also? ive never used electric its been charcoal for about 3 years, just figured i go out on a limb and try sumthing new this summer

When I bought the element from Brinkmann it came with a little metal pan that you can put wood chips in. Here is a link http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Catego...ng+Accessories

You can place them on or near the element but the pan acts as a buffer to avoid flame up.

I always soaked my chips otherwise they just burn up quick and the unit got too hot. I also threw in a couple charcoal briquettes in the pan for a little flavor. Hope this helps!

i found the elements for about 30$ at rual king here in town think im gonan get one of those and see what it does and how it acts then ill go for sumthi better

yea i will deff do that im gonna work on that one and i also have a char broil double door smoker that im gonna do sum upgrades too ill post pics up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky