Charcoal Grilling: An Absurd Question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fat sal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Hi, SMF'rs:

I apologize in advance for the absurdity of this question.

I am a lifelong gas griller. My friend (who also has no experiene with charcoal) has invited me to his house next weekend to do some grilling. His house came with a brick grill which he has never used. Basically, a brick platform with a grate elevated over it. No cover. Pretty simple set-up.

Here's my question: What's the best way to fire-up charcoal on a grill like this?

I have a Weber chimney starter, which I'll bring. Should we lay a bed of lump on the brick platform, fire-up a full chimney, and dump the glowing coals on top? Or should we lay down the glowing coals first, then dump more unlit lump on top?

Thanks for any advice on this. Again, this is for hot, direct grilling--not low and slow.

Sal

If I need more than I can light with my propane burner, I light as much as I can, then lay unlit on top. heat rises, I figger :{)

Enjoy Sal!

Thanks, Ritchee.

[Man! You're up early today.]

Sal

Si, señor. I'm still here in Spain, for another month or so. It's almost noon. Time for me to hit the jogging trail. The more I jog, the more I can eat. Must be careful once we pass 40.

The Spanish primarily use these flat, open-topped brick "barbacoas" for grilling--like the one my friend and I will use next weekend. Just this past year, however, I've spotted a handful of Weber Kettles around the 'hood. I'll never forget the first time I saw one in a hardware store near Madrid. I nearly cried. Weber must've recently signed a new, more aggressive distributor in Spain (although they still don't carry the WSM).

My next door neighbor has coveted my Weber Genesis Silver A gasser for years (which I bought here at a 100% mark-up over US retail price--but worth every penny). Just last summer, he bought himself a Weber Kettle and--after his first use--declared it the world's greatest grill. God bless the USofA, dammit!

More info than you probably wanted, Richtee. But, hey--once I start typing, it's hard to stop.

Sal (the upside-down guy in the photo above)

LOL... I'm lucky I guess. 150-160 for the last 25 years. No matter what I eat.

Heh... I bet!

Hehehe... Indeed God Bless, Sal, thanks for the entertaining note! Rep POINTS!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky