Charcoal Grate Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jraiona

Smoke Blower
Original poster
I am going to be purchasing a WSM 18.5 this weekend and I am extremely anxious and excited. I read a suggestion to get another grate and lay it on the other grate running perpendicular to prevent coal, ash, and wood from falling through and blocking the air intakes. Has anyone else done this and is it really necessary? If so are the grates readily available?

I haven't done it yet. But they should have the grates where you buy your smoker around $20 my guess. I'd say start without you can always get one later!

I did one for my 22.5 WSM. I got a charcoal grate for a 22.5 kettle from HD and it fit like a glove in the charcoal ring. I then tie wired it together.

ba7e75e41029c98f34ba8e74309bf6b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option that gives you even smaller holes and a more efficient burn is to get a sheet of expanded metal and cut it to fit the existing grate. Still allows plenty of air and increases the burn time of the small coals. You pretty much end up with only ash after a long smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky