Charcoal box for a offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heavyd833

Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
I'm wanting to build a charcoal box for my offset smoker. Would it be beneficial for me to put some sort of pipe in the middle for the charcoal to burn more evenly?

Not sure I understand your "pipe" concept, so I have no answer for you?

I hate to guide you to a link, but this one will bring up a wealth of charcoal basket info:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=charcoal+basket

You should see lots of different ways that other folks have tackled your current problem. If nothing else, you should get some ideas?

A general location in your profile will give folks an idea of your climate and elevation in case you have questions in the future.

Also, take a minute to drop by the Roll Call forum and introduce yourself so we can give you a hearty SMF welcome!

Good luck and good smoking.

I'm in middle Tennessee and what I'm trying to go for is more even burn from the charcoal from the inside out. I was thinking of using a 4' pipe of some sort drilled out for air to get in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky