Char Siu Rib Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
When I trim spareribs St Louis style, I save the trimmings for rib tips. I cut them to one inch cubes and freeze them. I had a buddy coming over for dinner so I made some Char Siu Rib tips.

I started them by giving them a sprinkle with a basic rub:

• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) brown sugar
  • 15 ml (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cayenne

341731-a67c737f5149922a3d3c28351cc81bc2.jpg

I put them in a 230 F pellet smoker with Whiskey Oak Barrel pellets.

DSC08634.jpg

I smoked them for 3 hours. While they were smoking, I made up some Char Siu Marinade by mixing the following in a saucepan.
  • 175 ml (2/3 cup) soy sauce
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) hoisin
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) five spice
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) sriracha (could substitute 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) hot pepper sauce)
  • 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) brown sugar
Then I brought it to a boil and turned it off.

DSC08635.jpg

I put the marinade and the rib tips in a roasting pan and covered it in foil and put it back in the smoker.

DSC08636.jpg
DSC08637.jpg

I smoked for 2 hours.

I took the rib tips out of the pan and put them back in the smoker. I brushed them with the liquid from the roast pan and smoked for 20 minutes. I brushed them again and smoked for 30 minutes.

DSC08638.jpg

The finished product.

DSC08639.jpg

These are a favourite around here! They are just like candy!

Disco

Attachments

• DSC08633.jpg
    DSC08633.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 37
damn, sure looks nice ... and looks like candy ... wish I lived down the road and take you up on an invite ... another home run disco

damn, sure looks nice ... and looks like candy ... wish I lived down the road and take you up on an invite ... another home run disco
Come on up! The Rockies are beautiful. We have great skiing, hiking, fishing and golf. Oh,yeah, there might be some food and drink.

How is the deer hunting ??? That is a special fault of mine ... grew up in sw Pa. and hunting was a heritage to us since I was like 8 years old ... now hunt in Ga. for the last 25 years .. today is actually opening day in Ga. I will be up there in a couple weeks when the rut starts ...

How is the deer hunting ??? That is a special fault of mine ... grew up in sw Pa. and hunting was a heritage to us since I was like 8 years old ... now hunt in Ga. for the last 25 years .. today is actually opening day in Ga. I will be up there in a couple weeks when the rut starts ...

There are a lot of deer here. I had to fence my yard because the come in herds and decimated She Who Must Be Obeyed's garden. Sadly, I live next to a cross country ski area that is closed for hunting.

However, most people around here prefer Elk and Moose. I prefer the meat from elk and moose but haven't ever turned down venison. I suspect you will be a bit warmer hunting in Georgia than here but the area is famous for its hunting and there are a lot of people who work as guides. We get people from all over the world coming in to hunt the Elk Valley.

Dang'it Disco,
I just ate half a rack of St. Louis ribs but that plate looks soooo good I could devour it for dessert.
Griz said it looked like candy, I agree, so dessert it would be.

Very nice plated shot, mmmm!

LIKED!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment but I am disappointed in you. A half rack? I heard you Americans had appetites.

Dang'it Disco,
I just ate half a rack of St. Louis ribs but that plate looks soooo good I could devour it for dessert.
Griz said it looked like candy, I agree, so dessert it would be.

Very nice plated shot, mmmm!
Thanks for the compliment but I am disappointed in you. A half rack? I heard you Americans had appetites.

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky