Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeDaMeats

Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
All,

I hope to get some good feed back here. I have just recently started using the Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB. I set it up after doing some initial mods that I found on here, such as, using the expanded metal in the SFB, flipping over the charcoal pan in the cooking chamber in order to create the baffle which I set upon some old propane cooking surface grates that I had, it lined it up perfectly above the football shaped opening, inch or so above (One grate on the far left and one great on the far right). I have yet to do the elongated stack inside the cook chamber (have only had the grill not even a week yet). I do have some follow on questions that I would like answered if any of you have suggestions.

1. Have any of you used the extended metal on top of the cast iron grates that come in the SFB? I only ask because if you keep them in there, it puts the fire level with the opening and should flow better into the CC correct? Insight would be great.

2. Since I have rested the charcoal pan (Baffle) on top of some old cooking grates, would you still want to put some solid tuner plates on those grates to force the heat to disperse better or does the charcoal pan do a good enough job of that?

Thanks for any input!

Sorry Smoke, I'm just seeing this post. I started out with a Char griller Duo. Same type of setup basically. To answer your questions:

1. I didn't put any expanded metal over the firebox grates. I just dumped the charcoal on the upper grates and spread it evenly across both grates. Then I lit the charcoal on the end furthest away from the smoke chamber and let it burn towards the smoker. I also mixed in wood chunks along the way. When the charcoal was almost used up I would tap the ash down and reload the firebox and let it burn it's way back.

2. Again I didn't bother. Flipping the pan over deflected enough of the heat by itself. Be prepared, the baffle will eventually warp. When mine warped bad enough I replaced it with a sturdy cookie sheet.

You'll be able to put out some really good food with your smoker, but I will say - be prepared to do a ton of babysitting, and your fuel consumption will be really high on longer smokes. Have fun and show us some of your results.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky