Char-Griller Smokin’ Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BloodFireAndSmoke

Original poster
May 11, 2021
Hey all, new to the forum here and fairly new to smoking. Smoked my first brisket the other day on a rivergrille offset, brisket came out alright had to use the Texas cheat after a certain point though because that thing could not hold temps due to it being so cheaply built. I gotta get rid of that thing and I’m looking to get a new smoker, but I don’t have $700 to drop on something super high quality but from reading about the Char-Griller Smokin Pro it seems at first glance that it might be alright for what it is, but definitely needs some modifications. If I were to put a little leg work into the smoker by putting some sealant on the doors to help it keep heat better and change out the thermometer, does this smoker seem like it could be a good budget option to you folks here on the forum?

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF from South Carolina. You have a quite a few choices in that price range. Mike smoker of choice is MB Gravity Fed. Others will chime in on their favorites in that price range.

Welcome to SMF from South Carolina. You have a quite a few choices in that price range. Mike smoker of choice is MB Gravity Fed. Others will chime in on their favorites in that price range.
Thanks! But yeah pretty much anything in the sub $500 range is worth looking into for me, and I don’t mind making mods I’m just mainly worried about having something with thick steel that’ll hold the heat from the fire well enough

Thank you! I’m looking to spend under $500. Just something with thick steel and won’t rust or start corroding after a few uses, and can hold heat well enough with or without gasket tape. Gets pretty cold up here in New England when it isn’t the middle of the summer so the heat aspect is very important

Have you perused the many Facebook smoker for sale groups? Great way to get more for your money on nice stick burners.

Reactions: Aledavidov
Have you perused the many Facebook smoker for sale groups? Great way to get more for your money on nice stick burners.
I haven’t yet, any recommendations on brands to look for? I know MB and Weber are solid brands, but I’m fairly new to the world of smokers

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! if you want something worth spending your money on save up for awhile, look on craigslist, something good will cost a grand, if not more, if you want a quality offset. Good luck! RAY

Reactions: jcam222
I haven’t yet, any recommendations on brands to look for? I know MB and Weber are solid brands, but I’m fairly new to the world of smokers
Are you looking for an offset? Perhaps hit us with a few more details. Size / capacity requirements and any other must haves and nice to haves.

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! if you want something worth spending your money on save up for awhile, look on craigslist, something good will cost a grand, if not more, if you want a quality offset. Good luck! RAY
Thanks ray! Just looking to get something serviceable enough for now, but an investment in a quality offset is definitely an idea for the future

Are you looking for an offset? Perhaps hit us with a few more details. Size / capacity requirements and any other must haves and nice to haves.
Yes an offset around 35 inches, something that I could cook two racks of ribs with without much trouble would be ideal. I’ve got a gasser for other stuff but it’s nice to have something BBQing for hours as a treat for the end of the cookout, not looking to do any whole hogs or anything so I don’t need too much space

The Dynaglow upright offset about $250 some folks on here use it and like it. And I'm thinking about the Old Country its around $500. Just throwing some options at ya. I'm no expert. And welcome to the forums from Mississippi.
Jim

Reactions: BloodFireAndSmoke
Looks like everyone’s in agreement about the Smokey Mountain! Thanks for the guidance folks, even if it isn’t an offset I’d rather get started on something that’s gonna be able to give me a good product in the end and invest in a nice offset in the future

Check your market place ads. Guy in our area has four 18" for $180 each. I been watching for a 22 but have been using an 18" for over 30 years.

179300374_114471577440801_5021273390906032687_n.jpg

Reactions: BloodFireAndSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky