char-griller question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbfd0525

Original poster
May 15, 2007
I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the char-griller smokin pro. Is it decent or is there something better out there for me in the $200 price range. Also can anyone offer some advice on how much charcoal to start with to get it to 230* and tips on holding temperature. Thanks

I like you am fairly new to smoking (been grilling for ever). I have the Char-griller with the SFB and I have been very pleased with it. There are a couple of fairly easy mods that seem to help alot --

I have added a piece of duct from the smokestack down to the grates and I turn the charcoal tray in the main chamber over when I smoke.

I have had great success with Boston Butts and ribs. I have also grilled some mighty fine steak on the same Char-griller.

Again this is just the opinion of a newbie like yourself, but hang around on the boards and you will get a lot of help and laughs.

If you do wind up getting one there is a real long thread on one of the other boards dedicated to the Char-Griller family as well.

Good luck.

Chris

The smoke stack extension to grate level works well. And I've heard inverting the chacoal tray to use as a baffle also works. If you really want long slow burns, invest in a charcoal basket. Get your self a 24 by 24 inch piece of expanded metal at home depot, cut 6 by 6 inch squares off of each corner, and fold up the sides. You should end up with a box 12 inches by 12 inches by 6 inches high. Use the minion method. It works great.

I have one and here is the mod of making the stack come down to the grate level on the Char-griller. Just buy a 3 1/2" flex dyer tub and attach it to the lids stack with a hose clamp. You won't have to remove your warming rack if you don't want to.
I did see somewhere a pic of someone who inverted the charcoal tray and they drilled a bunch of holes in it.
c8b3b5f7_vbattach12717.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky