Chalk that batch of ribs up to a learning experience!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spankingmymeat

Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
San Jose, Ca
I believe I have sort of ruined a batch of Ribs by not letting my Oak burn down long enough to get a good bed of coals. They have a bitter taste to them sort of a knumbing taste to them. I believe that is do to the amount to creosote given off by the oak at the early burning stage before they were ready.
Is this true? Are my thoughts correct?

Thanks
I guess I will take the kids to McD's for dinner tonight...

-S

Spanky, that numbing sensation is from the creosote. Reading into your post I take it that you're using a wood burning Pit?

Make sure that the wood you use has been dried and if you are using green wood, use a burn barrel to burn your wood down to the size of embers that you want. Any creosote should have been burned off by the time you put them embers in the smoker.

Update: 10/24:

When smoking remember to make sure that you have sufficent ventilation. Keep your vents open. If you shut down your vents (some do this thinking more smoke in the chamber= smokier meat) you end up with stale smoke that wll also allow a creosote buildup on the meat. If you want more smoke, add more wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky