CG 980 fan flap destroyed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Three B's

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2020
Charlotte, NC
My temp kept climbing and I took look and the fan flap is burnt up. Without this flap air continues to flow through and raise the temps. I have barely used this and never above 500. How could this not be made of better material? I’m doubting they have replacement parts to send and I’m thinking unless it’s better material it will just continue to burn up.

Anyone else have this issue or have a permanent solution?

Attachments

• E31D4AAA-3150-49E7-BE2D-C0E6482A0D9F.jpeg
    E31D4AAA-3150-49E7-BE2D-C0E6482A0D9F.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 82
  • Wow
Reactions: FFchampMT
Wow, that is rough. First thing I would do is contact CG support. If this is a design failure they will have a solution hopefully pretty quickly. If you just got unlucky they should be able to send replacement parts that fix your problem.

Reactions: 912smoker
I've had mine for a little over a week now, 5 cooks so far, two nights were pizzas at 600+ degrees, no issues. Hope they will make it right for you.

I submitted a Warranty Claim and just a little bit of back and forth. Now I am just waiting for them to confirm they will warranty it so we'll see. The assumption is that the wood in the ash bin burnt hot and fast and the flames did the damage. CG recommends adding wood to the ash bin so I would imagine they saw this occasionally during their own testing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky