Caving in, buying a new one..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herkysprings

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Eugene, OR
I was going to build myself an offset, but after much deliberation I figured I'd buy one first, and get used to it. That way I'll know what things I'd like to change in my plans!

I just need to know if anyone knows the difference between:

Char Griller Smokin Pro:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Or

The Char Griller Outlaw + Side fire box?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I'm going to do some snooping around local Walmarts / Lowes, but they rarely carry anything in terms of offsets, mostly verticals. So I'll have to order from Amazon (got the Prime so shipping costs isnt going to be a problem)

Also anybody know anythign about these smokers, Medina River?

http://www.amazon.com/Medina-River-O...ef=pd_sbs_ol_2

In looking at the Char Griller links that you posted, the Smoking Pro has a surface area of 830 square inches and the Outlaw has a surface area of 1038 square inches.

The Medina River lists their surface area as 40X20 square inches and the sfb has a surface area of 20X20.

The Outlaw would be the largest followed by the Smoking Pro and then the Medina River.

I have seen Char Griller units at Lowes but you have to by the main unit and the sfb seperately. I don't know if they will have any in stock this time of year. You might be able to get them to order one in for you.

Cool thanks. I'm also wondering if people know if the cooking grates, etc are the same or if there is any difference. If I can't find them at the stores I really dont get to check them out. I ahve to go by everyone's expert advice.

I was also thinking instead of a heat baffle / tuning plate mod, to try to convert one to reverse flow.

i dont know if u r near a Rural King store, u might of never heard of it but that is were i got my smoking pro with firebox for $159 and that was last month... I think the outlaw is bigger and doesnt come with the side firebox. but the smoking pro comes with the side box..

Have you looked at the Charbroil Silver smoker? Go to their web site. It is $39 off to make it $120, with $50 shipping it's still a good price. I bought mine last spring at Home Depot for $159. I looked at both the silver smoker and the Chargrillers and felt the silver smoker was the better product. The lid to the smoke chamber on the chargrillers are 1/2 of the " barrel" where the silver is a section leaving both ends "whole". This allowed me to install a rotessire that does not lift with the lid. It also has porcelian grates that clean up easy. And no annoying "warming rack" to remove. Good luck with whatever you buy.

The Outlaw is basically a bigger version of the Smokin' Pro. Both come with just the main body and then you can buy the side fire box seperately. There is a football shaped knock out you have to remove to attach the firebox.

I have the Smokin' Pro and it holds A LOT! of food. I can do 2 10 lb. butts, 2 slabs of spare ribs, a 9x13 pan of baked beans, and still have room for some ABT's or sausage!

Also be aware... bigger cooking chamber = higher fuel consumption. So you will use more lump/briquets/wood. The Char-grillers are nice and with minimal mod's they turn out great Que!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Someone correct me if I am wrong since I don't have a rotisserie on my GC, but I believe it attaches to the bottom half of the "barrel". Since the top half of the barrel is the lid, I would think working with meat on a rotisserie on a CG would be easier than an enclosed drum with door cut out.

There are a of features that I see that set the CG slightly apart from other offsets in the same price range. IMHO, the cast iron cooking grates are biggest plus if you also use it as a grill. The charcoal tray in the main chamber is adjustable & when flipped over works as a heat baffle. The ash drawer on the SFB makes cleaning ash on long smokes quick & easy. Finally, the capacity of the Smokin' Pro huge for most backyard cooks. The Outlaw model gives you even more space. I have done 2 large butts, 2 beer butt chickens, a large pan of baked beans & about a couple dozen each ABTs & moink balls.

One of our members built a drum smoker with side firebox. Said it cost him $300 in parts.... the CharGrillers are less than $200, and get the same result AND they are built for you.

From a purely monetary view;

Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw 1038 Square Inch Charcoal Grill / Smoker

1) This one comes without the side firebox

2) 208 sq” more cooking space than the 1224

3) $251.63 if you add the firebox

4) Total is $251.63

Char-Griller 1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box

1) This one comes with the side firebox

2) 208 sq” less cooking space than the 2137

3) $28.00 more than the 2137 if you add the firebox to the 1224

4) Total is $279.99

The first one seems to be the bargain if they are built the same
Char-Griller 2424 Side Fire Box, Fits 2121, 2123, 2137 $61.75

You should try your local Craigslist, you might find a real gem for real cheap...

there are SFB units for sale all the time

I pulled the trigger and bought a Brinkmann SnP. I finished assembling it last night, and I see its going to need some work.

General questions about materials I can use:

Stainless steel (nuts bolts screws metal) is ok?
Any spcific limitations on high temp silicon?

I'm going to convert to propane, and use the charcoal racks + some sort of screw . washer setup to build modular second racks. Seal up some tiny holes with silicon, oven gasket some areas, baffle and tuning plates.

I dont have access to welding-ness, so I'm thinking I'll get rails cut and screw them in.

So far its looking like a fun project! Thanks all!

I used a fireplace rated silicone on my chargriller. It was at Home Depot in the BBQ/Outdoor firepit area. Was about $4.... I think... gray matter isn't remembering that far back very well.
biggrin.gif

SWIB, where did you price those CGs?

I got mine a few months ago at Lowes. I bought the Super Pro grill & the SFB (actually it was the table top grill) & my total including sales tax was just over $200.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky