Cave man style chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I am by my self tonight.  I cooked up some chicken parts.

Full chimney of RO started by a starter cube.

Chicken, 2 thighs and a leg.  Some how I got a skinless thigh in there.   
th_crybaby2.gif

Once they were at IT I threw them on the coals.

After a quick sear.

Very juicy.  On the coal sear gives a different taste but its great.

Thanks for lookin.

Reactions: disco
How long do we give them a quick sear, and then what do we do with them. I watched someone do steaks like that in a video. Very interesting.

They look fantastic BTW.

I am by my self tonight.  I cooked up some chicken parts.

Full chimney of RO started by a starter cube.

Chicken, 2 thighs and a leg.  Some how I got a skinless thigh in there.   :th_crybaby2:

Once they were at IT I threw them on the coals.

After a quick sear.

Very juicy.  On the coal sear gives a different taste but its great.

Thanks for lookin.

The process and the results both look awesome! So juicy! I'll have to try this.

So, that was a fully smoked chicken piece thrown onto a lump charcoal fire to sear the skin?

Different.  Very different.  You need to be careful when the wife is gone.

I usually like my ashes on the side, but this way it just sticks all over the chicken... "ummmm".

You might have something there, but probably not.  30 seconds would make you sick as the meat would be raw.

You can't even cook a chicken leg in the microwave for 30 seconds and have it done.

Last edited:
Hey wait a minute.  Do you see any ash on the chicken or steak?

No ash was on the chicken, look it up.

I have done it many times.  

You should try it.

You might like it.

Last edited:

So, that was a fully smoked chicken piece thrown onto a lump charcoal fire to sear the skin?

I usually like my ashes on the side, but this way it just sticks all over the chicken... "ummmm".

You might have something there, but probably not.  30 seconds would make you sick as the meat would be raw.

You can't even cook a chicken leg in the microwave for 30 seconds and have it done.
I believe you've misread his post.

The chicken was cooked and then put onto the coals. 

roflmao.gif

Ummmm It's cooked first and then seared.   NO ash get's on the food.   It's a freeking GREAT way to sear the meat.   

You can throw your meat into the fire after you're done smoking it for a reverse sear.  I do this on my mini all the time when i don't want to put a charcoal grate over the coals when i'm done smoking them.  If you keep your mind open you might just learn something. 
biggrin.gif

A tiny bit of ash got on one piece but it was nothing.... just blow off your coals and it tastes fantastic. 

Last edited:
Even I had to go back and reread, I completely skipped over the cooked to internal temp part, ashamed to admit it but did it more then once. Did you cook the steaks right on the coals?

I watched good old Alton Brown cook a steak like that and also just cook one over the screaming hot chimney or something.

Even I had to go back and reread, I completely skipped over the cooked to internal temp part, ashamed to admit it but did it more then once. Did you cook the steaks right on the coals?

I watched good old Alton Brown cook a steak like that and also just cook one over the screaming hot chimney or something.
I cooked the steak almost to the IT I wanted the on to the coals.

I have seen steak cooked on a chimney before.

Last edited:
Awesome Adam, now that's a hell of a way to cook some steak or bird parts ! :biggrin: I've gotta do that myself.... been a while, thanks for the reminder ! Thumbs Up Great Caveman Sear !! Again, awesome job bud !! :yahoo:

Awesome Adam, now that's a hell of a way to cook some steak or bird parts ! :biggrin: I've gotta do that myself.... been a while, thanks for the reminder ! Thumbs Up Great Caveman Sear !! Again, awesome job bud !! :yahoo:

Thanks Justin. I know you are a fan of reverse sear.

Ya know, were they not prior cooked, they would remind me of a lot of Boy Scout camping trips. Although not by design......LOL

I believe Alton used the coals to cook his fajitas. Not uncommon in West Texas.

Looks Good C-Man! And I love that charred exterior taste too!

Ya know, were they not prior cooked, they would remind me of a lot of Boy Scout camping trips. Although not by design......LOL

I believe Alton used the coals to cook his fajitas. Not uncommon in West Texas.

Looks Good C-Man! And I love that charred exterior taste too!
Thanks Foam.  they were tasty.

Thanks B. I dont always sear on the coals, but its a nice change up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky