Catering this weekend Chicken question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingofbother

Original poster
May 1, 2009
Mebane, NC
I have to make chicken for 20 people. I was planing on brining, rubbing, and smoking half chickens. I was wondering if there would be an advantage to smoking whole chickens instead. I figure that the halves would take less time. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

KOB

KOB, if you have the room, chicken halves would be the way to go. It mean less handling by you. If space is a concern, then do them whole and use a good set of kitchen shears to split the breast bone and back bone. When I cut chickens for serving, most times I cut the chicken into quarters (thigh/leg and breast/wing). For kids and older adult that don't want that much chicken, I'll then seperate the leg from the thigh and the wing from the breast.

Ezzzactly!^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dutch has said it perfectly. The only thing I can add is get a good pair of food grade cutting shears to cut the birds into halves either before you smoke or after~ depending on the method you choose. They are one of the best kitchen tools you can own.

Good luck to you!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I do have a nice pair of Cutco kitchen scissors. They can cut a penny in half.

I appreciate your input. Thanks

KOB

kingofbother.blogspot.com

Remember-We want pictures!!
biggrin.gif
Let us know how it all turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky