Casing questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Trying my first attempt at breakfast sausage... using sheep casings.
These REALLY stink!...are they suppose to?

Almost gagged when I opened the package to soak.

Yes they will stink but put them in water and it will all go away. They will soak the stink out of them. You have to soften them up and get all the salt off and out of them so rinse them if you can and then they will go around the sleeve easier too. Ok I choose this thread to post my 4000's post because of your Marine logo and fact that it is about sausage too. So thanks and keep making sausage it's fun and taste good too. GO GATORS
Mark

Were they sold in a vacuum pack? I bought some once out of desperation from Gander mountain in a vac pack and had the same experience. I threw them away.
I've always bought salt packed casings, and have never had that problem.
I guess soaking might freshen them up but I couldn't do it.

Yup, sheep casings do have an odor, but soaking and rinsing real good (plus add a tsp or so of vinegar into your soak water) will make it go away. The rich and robust flavor of your own sausages will make it seem like a distant memory!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky