Carolina Smokin' Fall Fling & BBQ Festival

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrgrumpy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 18, 2006
NC
http://www.ncagr.com/markets/facilit...okin/index.htm

Anybody planning on coming? I am contemplating it if I can get someone to work my weekend.

I had my application all filled out and sitting on my desk at home waiting on the schedule to be posted at work, and it is my weekend.... my first weekend after I get off my 2 months of midnights, and whammo....

I will see if I can get someone to swap weekends for me or just cover mine.... I will let ya all know.

Bill

Well, it looks like a go.... see ya there if you show up...

Come on by and introduce yourself....

Bill

When I gave them my app and $$$, he said there was like 21 teams.... No word as of yet who is going to be there besides myself. I have an email in to the coordinator trying to get some info.

Any body else know of anyone coming?????

I know this is short notice, but I was wondering if anybody wants to help out at:

http://www.ncagr.com/markets/facilit...okin/index.htm

It is next weekend, Nov 9-10th.

Short notice, but if somebody is near by and wants to help out, let me know. I will be there by myself except for my wife and 15 yo daughter. We can do it, but I am willing to take someone under the wing if they are willing to learn and get some hands on. The work will be light, as I will do most of it, but you can do as much or as little as you want.

Bill

Bill,

I would love to help ya out again......
icon_sad.gif

...but it's muzzleloading season
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I would be happy to make the drive but I am packing this weekend so I can move next weekend...

Maybe next time.... I am always open to helpers that want to learn. This one will be an adventure as only myself, wife and daughter are going.... It should turn out ok.... if I can stay awake...
icon_eek.gif

My last night of midnights was Wednesday, and I go back on days starting Monday.... and leave Friday for the comp.... I will be so messed up on when to sleep
eek.gif
What really bothers me is driving back home afterwards...... it is 2 1/2 hrs home... after being up since probably Friday morning. I am hoping the mods I did on my cookers will at least let me get a little shut eye once in a while. I got almost a 3 hour burn this afternoon...... so I will see. I will set the thermometers for low temps, and see what happens.

More info and pics later.

Bill

If you remember how my side box was, I lowered the charcoal rack, and put a piece of stainless steel in front of the opening for the door so it covers about the bottom 3 inches. LOTS of room now, I can put a good 10 lbs of charcoal in their and use the Minion method.... holds a nice steady temp, and burns a good 3 hours before I had to add more. I will see how it does in the cooler weather.

I will post a pic later...

Darn Bill I sure wish I could go!

I'd love to be able to come down there and work with you. I'm about out of $$ and vacation time though after that WV trip.
icon_cry.gif

Thanks Debi. I could give you the vacation time... if they would transfer it, I only have like 130 hrs left for this year.....
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
But I will be burning a lot of it between now and the end of the year.... but will still roll over quite a bit. I won't tell you I only get 300 hrs a year.... so don't tell.

It will all be ok. We can do it, I just usually make an offer if someone wants to come along and join in and get their feet wet so to speak. I like to make the offer, just in case. Often I see posts where somebody is willing to help, but just doesn't know where to start.

I have even contemplated teaming up with some others I know, just to cut the costs down for each of us. It is an expensive hobby.....but a LOT of fun.

Bill

Yep, only 300.... next year, I will only get 325 I think it is.....
confused.gif

But that includes, holidays, sick, and vacation.... not too bad coming from a place that only had 80 total vacation, 8 holidays, and no sick leave.....

I can handle it though... kinda tough at times deciding when to take off....
icon_mrgreen.gif

Making a list, and checking it twice.

Friday will be here before we know it. I have got the bulk of it already packed up and ready. Just going over the last minute stuff and double checking everything.

I talked to one of my competition buddies that was in Shelby this weekend. What a tough one.... I think he said 65?? teams there... quite a few of the big boys getting in a the last few of the year for some extra points for team of the year.....

He is going to be next to me at this one, and will be good to compete against him again. It has been over a year since we competed against each other. I have visited several where he was competing, and he judged at the last one. I will see how we do against each other.... we requested to be next to each other, so will see.

Later,
Bill

Well, it is that time. We are almost packed and ready to roll. Just a few last minute things, and showers before we leave.

We are in hopes of being there about 1pm when meat inspection starts, then get set up. The other half doesn't see why I "HAVE" to leave so early. So I explained to her again, I want to get there, get set up and relax a little before we get busy.... So I asked her how much she wanted to rush when we get there.... so she is getting ready a little faster now...
rolleyes.gif

Music, dvd's are packed for the laptop, anything else I need????

Got my heavy winter gear as well.... suppose to be 35 tonight, so it could get a little chilly right before sunrise.... tomorrow is going to be nice, 62 for a high. That will be RIGHT for finishing up.

If I am still awake when I get home tomorrow night, I will try and post some results, other wise you will have to wait unless someone else is there and gets it before me.

Again, if you are in the neighborhood, stop by and say hi.

Bill

Well, I think I am home....

Finally got unpacked and most everything put away....still have some stuff to go yet. Luckily I had the day off, so I got a lot done.

It was cool Friday night, and VERY windy on Saturday. We estimated at least 30mph winds. It effected all of the stick burners cooking temps tremendously.... so the ribs and chicken was really hard to get done. I had one rack of ribs done, placed them on a cutting board and reached in to get the second one, and the cutting board and ribs hit the ground.... I burned one brisket, and over cooked a second. The overcooked one was crazy, the therm never showed 165 degrees for about 8 hours. I was thinking it was a VERY long plateau.... So when I decided to check it, it was too late. Luckily I was doing 4 slabs of ribs and 4 briskets.

Ended up being 32 teams.

The results are here:
http://kcbs.us/events.php?id=637

Here are some pics:

Temp inside the tent at about 2am:

Looking out from my site toward the back row of teams:

Looking from my site toward the turn in building. If you look real hard above the rides, you will see the top of a green building. That is the turn in site. We had to go to the right hand side of the building and go inside. A nice brisk 5 minute walk from out site.

Early morning shot before the winds started. My trailer and truck on behind the tent.

This was the 1st place ribs that ended up on the ground:

Here is what ribs look like when they are sun bathing.....

Here is what last place (32nd) chicken looks like:]

28th place ribs.

29th place pork:

14th place brisket:

Here is a link to the local paper there that has a super great write up about the event. I am now a celebrity, as there is about a 3 paragraph section about me. It is right after the judges writeup... hope you enjoy it.

http://www.robesonian.com/articles/2...ws/story03.txt

Bill

I wished I had checked the forum earlier...I only live about 3 hours or so from Lumberton and would have loved to go. Besides it would've given me an opportunity to visit some family who lives there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky