Can't get the membrane off of BBR

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auballard

Original poster
May 28, 2019
I bought a 3 pack of BBR at Costco. When I try to remove the membrane I can't get it started and now I'm destroying my racks. I've tried the traditional way by using a butter knife at the end and pulling with a dry paper towel.

I've cooked several racks before and have never had this problem.

Advice? Just leave it on???

Help!

I bought a 3 pack of BBR at Costco. When I try to remove the membrane I can't get it started and now I'm destroying my racks. I've tried the traditional way by using a butter knife at the end and pulling with a dry paper towel.

Help!
I have had that problem more than once. Not sure how yours look but some time a little extra fatty meat is on the back and needs to be trimmed off so it can pull away cleaner. Also you might put some ice on it for a couple of minutes to firm up the membrane a bit and make it easier to pull.

As for leaving it on there are a different opinions but I have left it on before and not had any problem with it. It will usually remove pretty easy after it has been cooked.

I cooked some baby backs saturday and had the same problem. I just left the membrane on. they were the best ribs I have cooked, in spite of the membrane. It didn't bother me at all

Help!
Hi there and welcome!
I "think" costco already pulls the membrane on their baby backs.
I would simply just cook them. The membrane wont take away from anything and you can likely easily peel the membrane once cooked... if it's still there OR throw on a hot flaming grill membrane side down and just "burn" it away so that it just comes apart :)

No need to remove it. You can "hot grill it" off in just a couple of minutes if it bothers you at the end of the cook.

Hi there and welcome!
I "think" costco already pulls the membrane on their baby backs.
I would simply just cook them. The membrane wont take away from anything and you can likely easily peel the membrane once cooked... if it's still there OR throw on a hot flaming grill membrane side down and just "burn" it away so that it just comes apart :)

I think the ones I get at Costco near me have the membrane off as well. The brand is Swift. I spent a minute looking for a good piece of membrane to grab a hold of and there just wasn't any!

Reactions: tallbm
I never remove the membrane before a smoke. I once did, until I saw a Memphis, TN BBQ joint owner saying he removes the membrane AFTER the smoke. He believed the membrane helped retain melted collagen, which is what makes ribs juicy. I tried it in my WSM and haven't removed a membrane since. At the end of the smoke, the membrane, which is mainly collagen, is rice paper thin. If you want it removed it pulls right off. I usually don't bother.

I'm going to smoke up two untrimmed racks of spare ribs tomorrow. I'll take a picture of the post-smoke membrane if this old brane, I mean, brain, can remember.

Reactions: Richard Foster
as the others have said. dont sweat it, just leave it on. the last batch I got from costco - i tried for a min and gave up, when right to cooking. no issues with the cook at all.

not sure why those BBs were different, but the membrane wasnt about to come off easy and I said F it and moved along. I read many threads on here from people more knowledgeable than me saying they leave it on always. go forth and cook'em! but show us when done :)

Hey, Thanks for the replies and advice!! I will leave it on and will post pics later. Since I have 3 racks I am going to try them 3 different ways. Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky