Canadian Bacon question?

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by podevil, Dec 11, 2007.

1. I have 9 pounds of pork loin curing in the fridge right now, and I expect to be smoking it on Friday... My question is, other than in Cowgirls post, I have not seen anyone else topping their Canadian Bacon with anything..She used fresh cracked Black Pepper...I have seen on other recipes, where people have used cornmeal , and different mixtures on their Canadian Bacon..
    I thought a combination of Cornmeal ,Black Pepper, and maybe some Turbinado sugar, or maybe maple sugar, might be a good combination to cover the Bacon....
    Any suggestions? or should I just smoke it like it is??[​IMG]
    Podevil

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It's been my experience to "trust your tongue". I seem to have an innate "taste sense" in that I can kind of off the cuff estimate the final flavors of dishes/mixed spices, etc. In other words..what sounds good?

The more of this you do, the better you will get at it too!

3. navionjim

navionjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Last one I did I treated the same as my bacon. After curring for 7-10 days I dried and painted it with 3 coats of molasses and maple sugar thinned with a bit of water. Placed in front of a fan to dry between coats. It makes for a really nice color after smoking.
    Jimbo

4. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I only have done it once, added nothing after the curing. I would think maybe some maple syrup would be good. Grade B maple is the most mapley. Cut your loin in half and do different ways to see what you like! [​IMG]

5. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I don't do anything with mine, just let the smoke do the talking [​IMG]

6. Thank you all for your input!
    Podevil

7. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's why I like to cut large loins in half, I cure one half with dry cure....it always turns out great.
    The other half I experiment with......each time I do something different.
    If the half that I experiment with turns out bad, I know I have at least one half that is tasty. [​IMG]
    So far I've not had an experiment go wrong. I really liked the extra garlic and cracked black pepper on this last batch. It added more zip or something.

8. great idea, I will remember this one :) AND a rep point!!!

9. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've actually got 8 lbs curing now, might try the maple syrup thing on one.....actually sounds good to be honest.....but still I do love just pure alder smoke.........yummmy [​IMG]

10. scotty

scotty Smoking Fanatic

Ive used the buckboard bacon recipe for canadian an enjoyed it.
    I think it is very dificult to make bacon that doesnt taste good.

11. kurtsara

kurtsara Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I have 12 lbs curing for a Saturday smoke for dinner with the wifes family for xmas, I might try molasses and brown sugar on one section, I have four sections (2 loins each cut in half) to play with.

We did 12 lbs a moth ago (Buckboard style) and that is excellent bacon