canadian bacon morton vs buckboard

Discussion in 'Pork' started by salmonclubber, May 4, 2007.

1. salmonclubber

salmonclubber Master of the Pit OTBS Member

hello everyone

i did 6 pounds of canadian bacon using the morton tenderquick recipe it turned out great i used hickory for smoke i like the morton recipe better than the buckboard bacon cure on the loin bacon i still like buckboard bacon on a pork butt

2. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Salmonclubber, those look awesome[​IMG] I wish my fricken smell o vision worked on this puter, but i can imagine!!!

3. t-bone tim

t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Salmonclubber ...could you please go into a little detail on the differences on taste results between the 2 cures ,I have some buckboard cure on order and already have the morton's and planning to make canadian bacon and was wondering the difference on taste ? thanks

4. salmonclubber

salmonclubber Master of the Pit OTBS Member

t bone

buckboard bacon has a stronger bacon flavor when you use it on loin it tastes like a lean piece of bacon using the morton tenderquick gives it a milder canadian bacon taste
    huey

5. t-bone tim

t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

thanks Huey...I'll use the morton's on the loin ,sounds like the buckboard would work well on a belly also ,as I like a heavy bacon n smoke flavor ...I used the mortons sugar and smoke flavor dry cure ...is very good ,but just a tad too salty ,maybe I'll shorten up the cure time a little on my next try [​IMG]