Can you name this cut of Pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
We used to have these all the time when I was growing up in SE Ohio...can't find them here in CO at all but my BF is from Nebraska and goes back every year to waterfowl hunt and always brings home a couple large packages of these. 

Do you know what they are?

I sprinkle some Season Salt on them in a resealable bag and shake it around. Then dredge them in flour seasoned with more Season Salt, a shake of granulated garlic and some black pepper. Fry in bacon grease and butter til browned and serve. Haven't tried smoking any but that's on the list.

Thanks for looking

Ohio River "Oysters"?
th_roflmao.gif

Alesia, If they are Super Tender after a browning and relatively quick fry time...I would think they are most likely 1" thick cuts of Pork Tenderloin. They are the right diameter and they look like most on the Silver Skin is removed but not totally...JJ

Look Familiar?     
RynaJzeApbrtXkPD_9m1Fon6MOcMi3mQIBkEdgcLt0ujpKRMPW.jpg

QSPY1u4uXZuG73d5ClxquK2eHIt8R-iUH8OEJlCLPvJsBv6qbR.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, cheecks are great, I love cheeks, head meat is the tasiest meat on an oinker!!!!!!!!
Cheek is chic!!!!
biggrin.gif

~Martin
Martin, I never played with Cheek. Are they tender enough to do a quick Fry? I would think being such an active muscle they would need some Low an Slow...I did a Google image search they could very well be Cheeks...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

images

Is temple meat the same thing ? I cooked a jambalaya with a buddy that used temple meat for the pork in it....It came out really good.......

Alesia knows what they are, she was just seeing if someone could guess.

Alesia, they're going to get harder to find now that more folks know about 'em! LOL

Cheeks aren't what I'd call tough when all the connective tissue is trimmed off, but not always especially tender either.
They're great slow cooked!

Temple is something entirely different, but being a head meat, it's also great.
Cheeks come from directly below the eye.

~Martin

Last edited:
ROTF.gif

Rule Number one....Always name your critters after food, the young one won't mind so much when the time comes. Our last two porkers were named "Sizzling" and "Bacon"
LOL...I told my new Bride 24 years ago that if I ever had enough property I wanted two Black Angus Steer for meat....Chuck and Bottom Round!...
a37.gif

a37.gif
...JJ

Yep they are cheek meat and omg they are sooooo good. It doesn't take long to fry them cause they really aren't that thick and the ones we buy are run through the tenderizer. I broke down the packages into 2 dozen pieces each and I have 5 packages left. I looked for them when I was in OH visiting a year or so ago and they aren't there either. I asked my butcher (he owns packing houses in NE) and he can't order them for me either. I found some Kurobuta Pork Cheeks online - $124 for approximately 10 lbs. 

ROTF.gif

Rule Number one....Always name your critters after food, the young one won't mind so much when the time comes. Our last two porkers were named "Sizzling" and "Bacon"
When my wife sent me pictures of the first batch of cows we got. She asked me what to name them.... So I answered T-Bone, Sirloin, Whopper, Big Mac......... she was not amused and we ended up with cows named Daisy, Mossy, Thing 1 and Thing 2........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky