can you dry wood in the oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck1676

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Crest Hill, IL
Hey all, thought I read on here some time back that you can dry wood in the oven. Is that correct? I've got some oak that is partial green and wet now that I forgot to cover it for the winter. If it is possible what temp should I go and how long do you think? Thanks Jason

Hello Jason.  I want to "bump" your thread because I a curious.  Thinking it over, we are kinda talking kiln dried and my first response is that you are talking about a process that probably requires certain precise controls.  Seems to me that wet wood in a conventional oven would just steam for a long period which would only drive the moisture into the wood.  I guess with further thinking it might depend on the size of the pieces you are trying to dry.  I hope someone with experience will come along and educate both of us.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Dont think Mama would let me poke green wet oak in her oven. Bound to be a better way to do it involving giving it time to cure right. Keeping it off the ground and covered with a tarp helps a bunch. Happy smoking.

If its wet and not green, put it either in or on the firebox and as the fire heats the chamber it will also dry the wood. IF its green I know of no way to make it cure over night. Its a time, circulation, humidity thingie. You can increase circulation to reduce time, you can decrease humidity to reduce time. But there is no instant answer I ever heard of. Green wood means creosote from tars and resins.

Last edited:
Yeah I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Just a shame I let it be in the open now I will have to wait patiently until it drys. Just have to go with what i've got left over under the pit and some store bought. Thanks

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Just a shame I let it be in the open now I will have to wait patiently until it drys. Just have to go with what i've got left over under the pit and some store bought. Thanks
Stack it up very loosely so it gets good air flow, keep it off the ground. You know, crib it the first row. Lay something over the top to help keep the bulk of the rain from dripping down thru it. Remember when splitting that bark is white smoke central.

As soon as it seasons, you'll be happy with the result, and you'll appreciate even the store bought stuff more!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky