Can you define the term?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Glendale, AZ
For the layman - a newbie when it comes to sausage. Can you define the term

"Remove from smokehouse and cool with cold water until internal temp is 110F Allow to bloom till desired color is reached. 

What exactly is "bloom", and how is this accomplished? 

No such thing as a dumb question - only dumb mistakes.  

The cold water bath stops the cooking process. After the sausage comes out of the water it is hung to dry. When it is drying it will start to darken a little. The drying and darkening is called blooming.

Thank you, sir! I thought blooming was what you defined, but didn't really know. I do know to come to this forum for knowledgeable answers to my questions!  
icon_wink.gif

RT That is not a stupid question, that is why this forum and the people are so great here, we try to help everyone

Good luck on your smoking process and hope to see some sausages come our way. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

No such thing as a dumb question - only dumb mistakes.  
YEPPERS!!!! 

Last edited:
I concur with other comments regarding " bloom ". Color , tightness of casing , elimination of any undesirable ,strong smoky odors. Happy smoking. And that was definitely NOT a dumb question. Weisswurst .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky