Can it stand the heat..or a bad idea?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beebeque

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've got a thick aluminum baking pan with nice high walls that I'd like to use to replace the small smoke box on my GOSM. Any concerns with aluminum? Can it stand the heat or is this a bad idea?

Forgive me, I flunked Metalurgy!

Other than that it melts now problem. If it's heavy enough it might work well. Lots of folks use coffee cans and they're not that heavy.

coffee can idea sounds like a winner........

i use a smoke box that you use in gas grills........HEAVY steel.........

i fill it with chips and place ontop of thefire.......werks GREAT

d8de

I'm a newbie but I used the coffe can trick I learned on here and it worked great. Better yet make two so that when it comes time to change out the chips its a quick switch. Held more chips than the heavy cast iron chip box and produced smoke quicker due to less metal to heat up.

I doubt this needs to be said, but best to err on the side of caution: Be sure to burn off the paint from the can BEFORE using in your unit.

Aluminum is fine. However don't leave water in it as it will corrode the aluminum unless it has been hardened, anodized, or whatever.Aluminum's melting point is about 1200°F so you have no worries about melting it.

The only problem you'll have is if it's your mate's favourite pan.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky