Can in the Butt Chicken.

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by bmudd14474, Oct 3, 2009.

1. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Last monday I decided to do a whole chicken. They were on sale for .77 a lb. The only can of drink that we had was a cherry coke zero. So I used that to shove up the chickens butt.

I coated with my rub put it on the gosm. I wanted to try something different this time. I norm cook them at 300 for 2 - 2.5 hours. This time I cooked at 215-220 for 4 hours. Temps were well above 165 so I was a little concerned about this being dry.

I must say that this was the most tender and flavorful chicken that we have ever had when doing it beercan chicken style.

I only took one picture of it resting out of the smoker.

Thanks for looking.

2. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a gorgeous color! [​IMG] Sounds delicious, between the cola and your rub it had to be good.

3. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That and rotisserie chicken is probably the best way to do it, although I rarely notice much difference in whatever flavor is in the can. Even without the brine, they come out moist. [​IMG]

4. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Beautiful bird! Wow that thing is nice looking.
    Bought one of those beer holders a while ago and never ended up trying it out but you pic is going to make me give it a try.
    Thanks [​IMG]

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking Chicken, Looks like the Can of Coke in the Butt REALLY AGREED with him...[​IMG][​IMG]

6. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks guys. I forgot to say that about 1.5 hours in I applied EVOO to the skin.

7. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That was one beautiful bird! Awesome countertop, too...

8. patriots

patriots Smoke Blower

Someday mine will look that good. Thanks for the pix. It is a guide for me.

9. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking color on that bird Brian !!!

10. yount

yount Meat Mopper

Thanks i just stuck a dr pepper up a chickens arse cause of this.lol hope mine looks that good

11. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now thats a great looking an you said tasting bird you have there brian. Great job and keep it up.[​IMG]

12. bmudd14474

I have used DP before also. should turn out great. Dont forget the qview.

13. smoke_it_up

smoke_it_up Smoke Blower

that sure is a goodlookin yard bird. [​IMG]

14. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking bird Brian.[​IMG]