Calling all Professional Meat Cutters past and present

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

modstaff

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 2, 2007
We would like to know who you are please limit this to people who earn or earned a living as a butcher or meat manager please either post here or PM us.

I was born in a meat store, Fassett's Quality Foods, in Adams Center, NY. My dad taught me to cut meat from age 5 on (had to hand crank the floor grinder every morning and clean it up at night with my brother). I learned retail and custom cutting through Jr/Sr High - cutting for the retail cases as well as cutting up hogs, steers, deer, bear and buffalo for farmers, ranchers and hunters, plus curing and smoking any and all various parts, making sausages, etc.

I went on to cut for chain stores; i.e. IGA's and Big M's for several years, then for Victory Markets/Great American chain, where I was a Journeyman meat cutter (union), 1st. Cutter, Meat Manager. Then went on (non-union) working for the Company as a Deli-Bakery Spe******t/Supervisor, then promoted to Meat/Seafood Spe******t/Supervisor in charge of 25% of total store sales in 30+ stores for many years, having to leave the business after about 15 years non-union shops and 15 yrs union shops, 30+ years total experience, because of a back operation. I left the meat business to work for RadioShack, my current employer, for the past 15 yrs, now a Senior Store Manager in Fort Worth, Tx., but still a dedicated MeatHead!

I also grew up in the business.

My parents owned a small town locker plant, and we raised our own beef on our farm. I always said I could do everything from feed them to eat them and everything in between.

Been out of the business for quite a few years so I'm not into all the special cuts of beef you see in the store today. I will process my own pork and do my own curing. Also make my own dried beef, or now it's dried venison. Still have the old family summer sausage recipe that we use with our venison.

Bumpity Bump Bump

Same with me, I was cutting meat and working for my dad while I was a sophmore in high school. Although I quit cutting meat professionally about 10 years ago, I still get a half of beef every year and use my friend's meat shop to cut it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky