Calling all pepper heads - HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
OK... so my mom has tasked me with a problem that I need help from some of our resident pepper heads. She planted what she thought were sweet italian peppers, and half of them were miss-labeled. These peppers are approx. as long as an anehiem, fairly circular in shape, and a little bit hotter than a jalapeno - and they grow really, really well in Oregon.

Below are pictures of the pepper next to a jalapeno for comparison, and a picture of the plants. If anybody can identify these it would be much appreciated!
biggrin.gif

0f3bfb0e_1313337455452.jpg

5474814e_1313337693847.jpg

Thanks for looking!

They look like cayanne peppers. if so they should turn a bright red very good for drying and making pepper flakes or grinding to powder.

Doesn't look like an Italian to me and I grow them?

Given the length and size my first guess would have been a sweeter pepper.  Then I saw your other post where something like that came out hot?  And, if it was hot for you, I can only imagine what it would be for me?  LOL

It is looking like you will be the resident pepper head, sadly (you know what I mean so please don't take that in the wrong way). 
icon_confused.gif
   Please post up and let you know what happens?

Good luck and good smoking.

that my friend is indeed a cayenne as eman had stated.  By far my favorite pepper,  i grow them every year, dry them and grind them.   I like the flavor of them and they are the right heat for me.  enjoy them.

They look like anaheim's to me, if they were planted next to a hotter pepper maybe they cross polinated. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 Don't quote me, I'm a better hunter than a farmer. 
smile.gif

Chew it up put it under your lip like a dip if you can do all that and not tear up it's not cayan.

They look like cayanne peppers. if so they should turn a bright red very good for drying and making pepper flakes or grinding to powder.

Got the same problem here, I planted Hot Hungarian and cubanelle's (sweet pepper) and the cubanelle's are the same pepper as the hungarian. Funny thing is I bought them from two different stores. A friend had the same issue, from a totally different supplier. might be a national conspiracy.

Here's what I got. Mine look a little shorter and fatter then your moms peppers

f65ece29_IMG_0673.jpg

I have seen cross pollination that some people say is impossible.  With my brown thumb, who am I to question them? LOL

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks all.... from the amount of heat I get from these things cayanne makes sense. So I guess I have smoked cayanne powder now - good thing I labeled it Diablo Powder... lol. It is really good, but definately has a good kick!

hard to tell the size.....most cayenne top out @ 6" but some can get large and they seem skinner than that one. there are some green chilis that are hot as hell...........i've had some hatch this yeare with some killer heat. as for serrano....no, japs are bigger and serranos are thinner.

OK... I think I finally found a definitave answer to what these are. I was at the farmers market the other day and noticed a a nice hispanic lady putting out some peppers that looked exactly like the ones my mom had, so I asked her what they were. She told me they are long cayanne - picked before they turned red, which for the heat makes total sense. Did some poking around the net and these: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6300-joes-long-cayenne.aspx  

Thank you everybody who helped!

Just for future reference, you may want to save this link to the New Mexico State University "chili pepper institue". It is a department of NMSU and like a cross between the Smithsonian Instituion and M.I.T. but just dealing with chili peppers. It's pretty much America's knowledge and seed bank for chili peppers.

This is the mission statement from the Institute: The Chile Pepper Institute (CPI) is a research-based, international nonprofit organization devoted to education, research, and archiving information related to Capsicum. We are dedicated to educating the world about the wonders of chile peppers.

They also run an OUTSTANDING online seed store for more chili pepper seed varieties you can imagine even existing, and for good prices too.

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky