Call on ye drum experts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donnylove

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Billings, MT
So my local drum reconditioner turned out to be a dud. When I finally picked up my drum (which at $40 was no great bargain anyway, but at least I figured I could build) and opened it up, there was a liner. Grrrr. Back to square one.

So yesterday I came across an add on tradio for some open head drums that a farmer has. There is a read liner or some sort of paint on the inside but it is mostly peeled off already and I'll have no trouble getting the rest off with a wire wheel. However there is some rust on the barrel. Nothing terrible and certainly no structural issues. Mostly rusty around the lip. Is this okay? Please tell me I can still use this drum. Lie to me if you have to.

Is there anything special I should do to it to keep it from rusting further? Besides painting the outside that is . . .

Thanks in advance!

To further complicate things, it appears that these drums are 85-gallon salvage drums. Bigger drum, bigger smoker I suppose, but what do I use for a cooking grate then?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky