Cajun sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckinducks

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Canada

Kit was $30 at local cabelas , only purchased because This is my first true stuffed sticks and wanted to make it easier.
Going to be making the above this weekend , kit comes with 2 very large bags of seasoning, 2 large bags of cure ( the 2 table spoons/ pound stuff). And 4 logs of casings.
Kit says it will do 20#.
Going to start with 5 # , reason for that is my stuffer holds 5# an each log of casings should do 5#.

I am going to be using backwoods cure( 1/4 teaspoon per pound) instead of the stuff that comes with it.

What ratio beef/pork would you recommend for these sticks? going to be buying the meat pre ground.

BID, IMHO buy the leanest burger you can get or have the butcher grind up some London broil etc. Go four pounds beef to one pound pork unless the directions state otherwise.

If you use your cure instead of the cure that comes in the package you'll probably need to add salt. I'm guessing that at 2Tbls/pound there is no salt in the spice mix.

I'd use what they gave ya.

Last edited:
If I were to use that kit here is what I would do.  I would use 80/20 ground beef, the seasoning recommended in you mix for 5 pounds, 1 tsp of cure#1,  one cup of powdered milk, and 1 1/2 cups of cold water.   Sprinkle the powdered milk over the meat, mix the seasoning and the cure in the water and pour over the meat and then mix everything well.  Then cover the sausage mix with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight so the seasonings and the cure can meld in.  Next day stuff.  Reinhard

Reactions: buckinducks
Just My Opinion,

I tried two 5lb sampler seasoning kits once just to compare their seasoning to the mixes I make and I found them (all five types) to be a little bland. since I got two 5ea (flavor) kits, on the second go around I added (tweaked) additional seasonings to each. the Cajun mix I added 2 TBL of Cayene  and switched out 1 TBL of the water for some Hot pepper sauce (your choice) and switched out 1/2 - 2/3 more water for a dry Red Wine (merlot) it was better than the first stock batch but IMO it still needed more tweaking . I will stick with my own recipes or try some of the great ones we see on this site

keep on Smokin

Tom 

Reactions: buckinducks
If you use your cure instead of the cure that comes in the package you'll probably need to add salt. I'm guessing that at 2Tbls/pound there is no salt in the spice mix.

I'd use what they gave ya.

I've used the hi mountain cure many times before and always comes out a bit salty and never has the nice pink/red colours that the LEM backwoods cure claims to give.

Reinhard and Oregon smoker, great tips ! Always willing to change things up before the smoke.
In terms of the powder milk , I've heard of it but passed my mind , I will be addin it to the recipe!
In terms of heat and adding spices, once I mix all 5 pounds I am going to take out 2.5 pounds and add some heat!
Thanks for the good tips, going to make these sticks that much better

Reinhard and Oregon smoker, great tips ! Always willing to change things up before the smoke.
In terms of the powder milk , I've heard of it but passed my mind , I will be adding it to the recipe!
In terms of heat and adding spices, once I mix all 5 pounds I am going to take out 2.5 pounds and add some heat!
Thanks for the good tips, going to make these sticks that much better
buckinducks,

good luck with the process. I use powder milk in some but I also use soy protein in many instead. that is why this addiction is so wonderful , there is always a different way and opinion....you could spend days at this and the smoker chasing it.....Oops did I say that out loud?

keep on smoking,

Tom

Currently battling the mes 155-180 trying not to go over 180.
3 hours in haven't stuck the internal temp prob in yet , they don't look near done.
Anyone on here know how long I'm looking at ?

Currently battling the mes 155-180 trying not to go over 180.
3 hours in haven't stuck the internal temp prob in yet , they don't look near done.
Anyone on here know how long I'm looking at ?

Depends on how fast and how much you turned the heat up... 6+ hrs usually for me...

Taste was good , casings a little chewy , overall it was a success , thanks for the help everyone !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky