Cajun or Louisiana style?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Western PA Rob

Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hi - I am new to the forum. I am curious - I read a few references about Cajun-style or Louisiana-style BBQ. Does anyone have any recipes? Or a website?
Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: JLeonard
Hmmm, not sure about that one. It’s been my experience that there isn’t much Louisiana style bbq. I get my influences from Texas and Carolina style. But that’s not to say it doesn’t exist.

I’ve not seen references specifically to ‘BBQ’ nor to ‘Louisiana style’ ... what we typically see are comparisons and contrasts in Creole vs Cajun cuisine.

Can help you with that - and others here can as well - if that helps.

Louisiana BBQ? That's easy! You get some of them NUTRIA in any Swamp. You Gut 'em and Skin 'em and Rub 'em down, Real Good, with Tony's and Tabasco. Now, you build yerself a nice " Far" let dat burn down to embers. Take yerself some Green Sticks and stick them " Swamp Hogs", Rooter to Tooter! Spike 'em in the dirt near the embers and give 'em a turn every 30 minutes, or every time you finish a Six Pack. They are Done when a Leg comes off real easy! Don't get mo-better den Dat!
Well...MeMaw's Roadkill Gumbo is some Uptown Citified food, but dat's another post.😆

Just Funnin with our Louisiana Brother's.
foamheart foamheart is another good Source...JJ

I don't know of any difference. I have had Alabama white, Carolina vinegar, Texas mater. I bet if you asked 50 people from one region to write down their BBQ sauce recipe (if they would) there wouldn't be two alike. But they are all basically mustard, catsup, vinegar or Alabama white (Mayo/Horseradish), sauce based or a reasonable fact simile.

<nothing special to see here, these are not the droids you're looking for>

To my knowledge...

My Pop never used BBQ sauce said it was a poor cook who had to cover the taste of good meat. But due to his smoking, bbq'ing ( as in technique), and grilling he generally mopped. All his pits were fire breathers and required such. He mopped with 1 part 50/50 butter/oil, 1 part vinegar and salt & pepper. Oil to brown and seal in juices, vinegar to tenderize. And when he died in the reefer was his original bowl of it. He always just aded new to his last batch. Thought there was going to be a divorce when Mom once threw it out because she bought a brand new tupperware bowl for him to use. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
Thanks foamheart. That is a great story - that bowl had to be seasoned pretty good, ha! Yeah, I forget where I came across it, but I had never heard of Louisiana style - I know the usual regions and stuff - so I figured I would find a forum and post and see what others had to say. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong by loading up some ribs with Tony Chachere's and one of Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic seasonings though, hehe.
This place is awesome - there is a ton of info here for sure...
Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: foamheart
You may also want to check out some of Justin Wilson's old Cajun/ Creole cookbooks. He has some bbq recipes in them. But it's mostly down home Louisiana cooking.

I like to smoke up some Cajun wings or legs by Marinating them in some Louisiana hot sauce. Season them with some Cajun seasoning. Then more Louisiana hot sauce about 45 min before they are done.

Can't really help you to much more than what's already been said here.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky