• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Butts too long of a rest??

traver421

Joined Sep 24, 2010
I just put 2 6lb boneless shoulders on the smoker. Plan was to smoke til 8am or 205 deg and put in a cooler and rest it till around 1 or 2pm at our tailgate. 

I am thinking it might be still warm and ready to eat.

Is there a such thing as too long of a rest??

thanks

Go Gators!!

bpopovitz

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 29, 2008
Welcome aboard.  Make sure you head out to roll call and introduce yourself.

Just did 5 butts last week stayed above 150 in the cooler for about 12 hours.  Just remember to double wrap in foail and old bath towels.  Antoher thing you can do just to make sure is leave one of the probe in the shoulder to keep an eye on it.  Good luck

ellymae

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 21, 2009
As long as it doesn't go below 140 degrees when you cooler it you should be OK.

bluechip

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 5, 2010
Welcome aboard.  Make sure you head out to roll call and introduce yourself.

Just did 5 butts last week stayed above 150 in the cooler for about 12 hours.  Just remember to double wrap in foail and old bath towels.  Antoher thing you can do just to make sure is leave one of the probe in the shoulder to keep an eye on it.  Good luck
x2....I always leave a probe in and set the monitor on top of my chest to keep an eye on it. I let one sit for 8 hours one time and the temp was still 155 when we pulled it...but I double wrapped and tucked it nice and tight into some old towels...

traver421

Joined Sep 24, 2010
thanks for the tip with the probe, didn't think about that.

I will wrap with towels and pack them up tight.

Thanks

bluechip

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 5, 2010
You will look like a pro when you pull them babies out of the ice chest....Everyone will be ooohhing and ahhhhing.....

mossymo

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 30, 2007
First post......?

Your welcome back when you have more time!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.