Butt Smoke - QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckeye024

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Lexington, KY
I have decided to smoke a butt tomorrow (Thursday) and start a thread about it. This is the 1st time I've done a QVIEW thread. This will also be the 1st time that I plan on taking the butt the entire time in the smoker. Usually I smoke until 170 and then foil and finish in the oven, but that was another thread...and that thread gave me the urge to "go the distance". I hope its better this way, it was pretty good the other way...

The butt is a 6 1/2 pounder from a Sams Club cryo pair. Here it is Wednesday night 9pm...Mustard coated and rubbed with Jeff's rub, ready to absorb that goodness for several hours in the fridge before the morning smoke. More pics to come tomorrow as they occur...
edad08dd_vbattach22159.jpg

7am Eastern time. The butt has been on for 1 1/2 hours at ~235 degrees. The internal temp is already 105. Seems to be the fastest cooking butt I've done...so far. We'll see.
eb6681fe_vbattach22162.jpg

7e54f92d_vbattach22163.jpg

8:30 AM. Butt has reached 120, still moving pretty fast. Smoker temp is 225-230. Mopped it once, just now. What the heck, lets add some of Dutch's beans too...
59d07f26_vbattach22164.jpg

4pm. Approximately 10 1/2 hours into the smoke. I was a little concerned at first about the temperature climbing so rapidly. No more. This thing has plateau'd something fierce. Starting to come out of it now, I think. Temp currently at 167. Bark is coming along nice too...
e52a1715_vbattach22165.jpg

Everything is looking good so far just remember that all meat doesn't smoke the same but your doing just fine so far thats the hardest part is making it past the plateau and then it's all down hill. Enjoy and more Q your on a roll.

Can you believe this...the temp got to 189 after 13 hours. Took forever. Then I noticed it was moving anymore after another 30 minutes...my GOSM ran out of gas. Can you believe that crap? Oh well, off to the foil and the oven...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky