Butt cooking to fast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tyco

Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
I had a pork shoulder butt that was packaged said 8.88 pounds. Left fat cap on as it wasn’t very thick did score it before a mustard and rub went on. Anyway fired smoker up at 6am and set it for 255* and put the butt on at 7. Just checked temp and it’s already at 154* planned on going to 160* then fouling but I’ve heard 8 pounders taking 12 hours it’s only been 5 for mine. Is it possible it’ll hit a stall around this temp or is cooking at 255 instead of 225 making it cook much faster?

The higher temp will cook quicker butt you haven't hit the stall yet.

You're on the right track. That color in 6 hours kinda tells me your smoker s a tad over 255 degrees.. No?

Looking good though.

My normal way I smoke butts is 5 hrs on smoker unwrapped, then I lay it on 2 sheets of foil on the shiny side, add some brown sugar on top, sprinkled on, then some sweet baby rays, just a drizzle, then 2 shot glasses of apple juice, then wrap tightly, then wrap 2cd sheet tightly with probe in it, then put in hot box on my smoker, and usually takes 3 more hrs to hit 204 -205 internal, let rest for 30 minutes covered with a doubled over towel, then put in a tray and pull it all apart, saving drippings in fridge till am , separate the fat on top, and use drippings for leftovers 

5  hrs of smoke gives it plenty of flavor and real good bark .. most the butts I make this way , are usually done within the total of 8 hrs .. some just a pinch longer .. besides his way, I free up space on smoker for sides .. beans, mac and cheese,veggies.. 

Some people I talked to at local bbq joints say that they will take a butt or brisket to 150 or so and then wrap.. And at 190 unfoil and crank the heat up to keep it from cooling back down due to evaporation on the surface. This way they retain a crisper bark also.

Last edited:
I ended up wrapping it with 1/3 cup Apple juice and 1/3 cup CPT Morgan at 2:15 at 164* and took it to 203* around 5 o’clock where I took the temp down to 100* and let it sit in their for an hour. Brought it inside and it shred and the bone pulled out with ease! Was very nervous doing my first full butt but it turned out great! Have most in a container for use at a party this Sunday. Plan is throw it in the oven for awhile before and reheating juices I have in glass to pour over after reheating

Sooooo.... you foiled it and got it drunk ... lol ... nice job ,,, 
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif

Last edited:
Ya turned out great! Wife loved it to which is hard to do [emoji]128580[/emoji] barely used any bbq sauce it was so juicy and tender

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky