1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

"Butt" cooking times do vary.

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bearswoodshop, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bearswoodshop

bearswoodshop Fire Starter OTBS Member

Well, I thought I was pretty smart, and could cheat the long wait while cooking butts. The plan was to start smoking 2 butts at about 5 last night, nurse them till about 11, go to bed and take them off in the morning about 7 (my usual 14 hrs) and have them ready for lunch. About 2 this morning, my curiosity (and bladder) got the best of me and had to check things out. The temp was at about 300 :o oh no, sprayed with apple juice, and turned it down just a little. Seemed to settle at 225, things are good now, go back to bed. At 7 this morning, :roll: somehow the temp had fell to 200 and the internal was only 146, so much for the plan. I'll let you know how much longer, and get a couple pictures. BEAR

2. Dutch

Dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Bear, I know some guys don't like to do the thermometer thing, but in a case like this the Mavrick ET 73 could have alerted you to the Out of Range temps. This is a digital remote unit that several of us here use and endorse. Check out the link- Maverick ET-73.