Butt and Shoulder From Start To Finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
I decided to smoke a butt and shoulder with pics fom start to finish since I see alot of new folks on here, I
figured I could answer alot of questions at once. Heres' the temps up to 170*, that's when I took a nap and
set the alarm.Starting at 11:20 - 37* / 12:00 - 54* / 12:30 - 69* / 1:00 - 81* / 1:30 - 93* / 2:00 - 99* / 2:30 -
111* / 3:00 - 116* / 3:30 - 125* / 4:00 - 133* / 4:30 - 142* / Foiled and re-thermed. 5:00 - 143* / 5:30 - 151* /
6:00 - 153* / 6:30 - 170*. Finished at 210* let rest and it fell apart, just hit it a few times with a big spoon. I
started with a injection of beef broth, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, old bay seasoning, habanero and
chile pequin sauce. I let the mixture set overnight in the fridge and ran it through a strainer so it wouldnt clog
my injector needle. I then injected the pork right in the cryovac and let sit overnight. I then smoked till 142*
with hickory and a little mesquite. I added 12 more briquets about 3/4 through the smoke job. I poured the
liquid from the re-usable pan into a sauce pan and used a baster and sucked just the liquid off the bottom
avoiding the grease for a finish sauce. My UDS ran at 250* at the lid and just under 300* on the outside edge.
I will run just over 300* on the outside normally but the wind was blowing pretty hard today. I hope this helps
and enjoy.

My God man!!! What delicious looking butts!! Great jobs!
points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Now there you go for those are some mighty fine looking hunks of meat you have there Meateater. I like how moist that they came out.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I put enough hot sauce to give it a little zing. I didn't want to over power the taste of the pork. I think I'm getting the hang of this now.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky