Butt and Shoulder From Start To Finish

Discussion in 'Pork' started by meateater, Apr 8, 2010.

1. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I decided to smoke a butt and shoulder with pics fom start to finish since I see alot of new folks on here, I
    figured I could answer alot of questions at once. Heres' the temps up to 170*, that's when I took a nap and
    set the alarm.Starting at 11:20 - 37* / 12:00 - 54* / 12:30 - 69* / 1:00 - 81* / 1:30 - 93* / 2:00 - 99* / 2:30 -
    111* / 3:00 - 116* / 3:30 - 125* / 4:00 - 133* / 4:30 - 142* / Foiled and re-thermed. 5:00 - 143* / 5:30 - 151* /
    6:00 - 153* / 6:30 - 170*. Finished at 210* let rest and it fell apart, just hit it a few times with a big spoon. I
    started with a injection of beef broth, garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, old bay seasoning, habanero and
    chile pequin sauce. I let the mixture set overnight in the fridge and ran it through a strainer so it wouldnt clog
    my injector needle. I then injected the pork right in the cryovac and let sit overnight. I then smoked till 142*
    with hickory and a little mesquite. I added 12 more briquets about 3/4 through the smoke job. I poured the
    liquid from the re-usable pan into a sauce pan and used a baster and sucked just the liquid off the bottom
    avoiding the grease for a finish sauce. My UDS ran at 250* at the lid and just under 300* on the outside edge.
    I will run just over 300* on the outside normally but the wind was blowing pretty hard today. I hope this helps
    and enjoy.

2. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

My God man!!! What delicious looking butts!! Great jobs! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. treegje

treegje Master of the Pit

Man those look good, certainly earned points

4. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those Look Dang Good Meateater...[​IMG][​IMG]

5. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Beautiful butts ya got there meateater ! ------>>[​IMG]

Thanks for the stats,
    Bearcarver

6. mr mac

mr mac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice butts! [​IMG] You know what we mean! [​IMG]

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now there you go for those are some mighty fine looking hunks of meat you have there Meateater. I like how moist that they came out.[​IMG]

8. harleyguy

harleyguy Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

All I can say is: YUMMY!!![​IMG]

Looks very tasty.[​IMG] Did the meat have alot of heat?

9. mama's smoke

mama's smoke Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I'm doing a butt on Saturday. I hope it looks as good as yours.[​IMG]

10. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Your a Pro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jbg4208

jbg4208 StickBurners

SWeetmeat!!! those look great.

these [​IMG]are for you..

12. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I put enough hot sauce to give it a little zing. I didn't want to over power the taste of the pork. I think I'm getting the hang of this now. [​IMG]

13. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

getting the hang of it I think you got the hang of it

14. jaso

jaso Smoke Blower

I've been dying to try a butt and I think that was the kick in the pants I needed . It all looked excellent ! ! ! [​IMG]