Butt and Brisket Together

Discussion in 'Pork' started by cconk454, Jul 20, 2008.

1. cconk454

cconk454 Fire Starter

I have been tasked with cooking up a butt and brisket at the same time for my wifes birthday party next saturday. Party doesn't start till 7 pm so I figured I'd fire the smoker at midnite so everything will be done in time and I can take a nap. Has anyone done both of these cuts at the same time and have any advice. Done lots of butts, will be my first time doing a brisket. Figured i'd sear on all sides first, throw in an aluminum pan and smoke till 180( as I want nice slices) resting of course in a cooler for a couple of hours

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

make sure, number one, you have decent digi thermos.......two would be great...........depending on the size of the brisket........you doing a flat or a packer?

because if the brisket is quite abit bigger than the butt, it needs to go on first..............

3. cconk454

cconk454 Fire Starter

I will put my order in at the meat market today for it to be delivered on Thursday so I was thinking about getting a packer and a butt both in the 10 to 13 pound range. I will try and keep them both about the same size.

4. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

good thinking...........but you will/may not, get the dreaded stall sometime during the smoke..........10lber will take @15 hours, give or take couple hours........folks here know that i HATE talking times, but telling you that, so you will get a ballpark idea on what time to start em