Butchers twine or plain string?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

up musky hunter

Original poster
May 28, 2015
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Seems like a dumb question to me, but is there a preferred item to tie up meat before smoking? At Thanksgiving, I felt like I should have tied the turkey up a bit before smoking and I didn't. Next is a prime rib for Christmas and I want to tie it before I smoke it.

Is there a difference between "butcher's twine" and regular home craft string? Can you use either one or is the regular home string more susceptible to fraying and disintegrating due to heat?

Thanks

Not knowing what the craft string is made of, I think I'd be reluctant to tie food up with it. Might be fine, might not be. Butcher's twine, on the other hand, is designed for food, so you know it won't be a problem.
I think peace of mind is worth the $3 or so you'll spend on butcher's twine. This time of year it's available at almost every grocery store.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky