Butcher Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinpyro

Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Davenport, Iowa
Purchased a Ham today soaking in the brine now, plan on a smoke tomarrow, what should I expect?
Not new to smoking, but this is my first adventure for this.

Monitoring. Details please once you've finished the process. I've been interested in smoking a ham and look to do it in the next month or so. Tips appreciated. Thanks.

I got Jeff's book and he talks about a saltwater brine but doesn't ham usually come already salty? Is there another brining method for ham other than the saltwater solution to soak it in or is it the curing that adds the salt to the ham? If so then it needs to be a fresh ham then right? for me to use my saltwater brine?

Purchased a Ham today soaking in the brine now, plan on a smoke tomarrow, what should I expect?
Not new to smoking, but this is my first adventure for this.

A ham needs to cure in brine for 4-6 weeks. Brining for 24 hrs is basically pointless, if you want ham and not just smoked pork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky