Busy as the Proverbial One Legged Man in an @$$ Kickin Contest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Good gosh, this time of the year can stress a person out.
Work, Family, Hunting and Family/Friends, More Work, Holidays and Friends/Family and Lots More Work.
And in-between all that chaos, confusion and contention, I gotta get some cooking time in to really relax.

Still trying to make room in the freezer for fresh meat.
Little while ago it was Chicken Fried Venison, well this time it was Country Fried Venison and Gravy served up with Roasted Taters/Veggies.
Tender enough that you can cut these with a fork.
Start with a bunch of misc steak cuts averaging an inch thick.
Jaccard tenderize them till they feel mushy, then place between plastic wrap and pound to about a 1/4 inch thick.
Salt well and dredge heavily in seasoned flour.

Cubed
DY9rGpr.jpg

Heavily Dredged in Seasoned Flour
VOmeJmv.jpg

Cast Iron Spa Treatment
w1e7a9x.jpg

Mmmmmm... Good!
9l2bsXW.jpg

Work is busy this time of the year, keeping me running long hours.
Vacation time ran out last month, now all I can do is hunt the weekends.
Could've killed some decent sized Does, but I like hogs too and they have to be gotten rid of.
So the boom got lowered on a few young, eating sized boars, approx 120-125lbs each.

2zMA8Ev.jpg

nbCd69t.jpg

At least this year we didn't host the Thanksgiving Feast for our extended family.
What, 22 people last year? This year it was just six of us.
I contributed one dish by popular demand, those yummy Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes.
My wife cooked a Brined and Oven Roasted bird, which she does so well.

ecdYvKi.jpg

But family visiting in-town begged for a smoked turkey the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
So a fresh 12lb bird got spatched, injected and brushed with my homemade Cajun Apple Butter marinade.
Then smoked over Cherry at 375°-400°, and it took just shy of three hours for the breasts IT to hit 165°,
Nothing like a turkey that's been either wet brined or injected, they're so danged moist and juicy.

gHXr1eN.jpg

5i87MHt.jpg

7Mr15LU.jpg

xYD7eh5.jpg

Well it's back to the incessant grind for another week.
Thankfully followed by another weekend of hunting, and maybe another good meal or two.
Y'all take care.

Last edited:
Nice John, everything looks great, but I really like the looks of those steaks. Another thing on my list.

It's about time for me to kill a few hogs for the freezer, it's not really a hunt on the ranch that I get on.
It's like picking out a pork butt at Costco there are so many.

Excellent Post Chile....and welcome back. Been kinda wondering where you've been but figured everything was exactly as you stated above: really busy!! Keep those wild game posts coming please. I have to live vicariously through you and a few others here as I just can't get Tracy to eat game meat but I'd certainly down a big plateful of those steaks.

big LIKE my friend,
Robert

Everything looks to be delicious Chile, great piece of work. Nice layer of white fat on that wild hog, he'll be some good eatin'. Like, RAY

Wow like always you turn it out. Love chicken fried, so that really grabbed me in. Then the drool continued . Well not so much over the skinning part. Nice hog, just right size, make some good eats.

Looks great! I love using venison cube steak! I usually run out quick when i have someone process for us depending on the weather. Unfortunately i dont have a cuber yet. Its on my list. Turkey looks perfectly juicy, I like the color on it! Not too dark! As always really nice job!

Meals look excellent! I hear ya on the busyness part of it. Its crazy this time of year. I just brined and smoke 4 birds last week. Care to share your Cajun apple butter marinade recipe?

Meals look excellent! I hear ya on the busyness part of it. Its crazy this time of year. I just brined and smoke 4 birds last week. Care to share your Cajun apple butter marinade recipe?
2 sticks melted butter
1C Apple juice
2T Cajun spice mix
1T Granulated garlic
Enough to do 2-3 chickens or a 10-12lb turkey, or a large Butt.

Everything Looks Great, John!!
Nice Job on all of it---And the Mrs did Great too!!
Like.

Bear

Wondered where your delicious food posts had gone :) As usual it all looks fantastic!! Really love those deer steaks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky