burn barrel users

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmack

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Iowa
Question for any of you offset smokers that use burn barrels-do you have any tricks you use to keep from getting a lot of ash as you add the embers to the firebox? I started with a basket of unlit lump. As my apple began to burn I have been adding the embers to the basket. I just hate the ash the wood is generating and I seem to be smothering the fire in the box. Any suggestions?

dmack

An expanded metal basket sitting on a couple of fire bricks will help tremendously. The ash will fall away and the wood will burn cleanly. Plus with a handle on the basket you can then just lift out the coals and dump them easily into your firebox.

Of course. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.

dmack

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky