building another smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
ok, i decided to build another smoker, and give mine to a guy at work
smile.gif
. i have the drum, the door cut out, and what i will call "gaskets" on the top and bottom of the door frame welded on. i used 2" angle iron (what was available) on the top and bottom, welded to the drum (wirefeed welder). i have the legs cut, 1 1/2" angle iron, 28" long. i am using the new ffod grates i had made for my smoker in it. now i need to make the firebox. i am using sheet steel for it. i found a piece of 1/4" thick metal i can use for the bottom. should i make double 1/8" walls? we have alot of 1/8" sheet, but not much 1/4" is why i thought of doing it that way. what size should i make it? i was thinking something like 26" long X 16" deep X 30" wide. here is a little pic i drew up real quick in MS paint, to show how i imagined it. the smoke stack will be 4" diameter, cut in just under the rack. the firebox to oven hole will be cut in just under the rack, with a deflector plate above it. i can decide how to do the door for the firebox, to put fuel in either.

edit: trying to get the pic to work.
664ccc60_vbattach12269.jpg

Hi Chris -

Making a bigger firebox? This is still going to be from a barrel like a 55 gallon drum? I was thinking of lining the inside of the drum with a layer of sheet steel and a 3/4" air gap to be filled with insulation. Then laying on another piece of steel straighter to use as a heat deflector. Although I'm adding two propane burners in the smoke chamber in case I want to grill as well or add extra heat in the winter if needed.

Just a thought ...
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

marvin, you think the double-wall (1/8" x 2) would be good?

debi, yep, i have a 55-gallon drum cut.

Chris im sure it would be just fine the fire box is gonna be thicker than the barrel and thats where most of the heat is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky