Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
Put the Buckboard Bacon cure to a 7.17 lb. Boston Butt. Got it in the garage "refreshment center" for it's 10 day rest.
Gonna hickory smoke some bacon!
Next is the loin in the freezer for Canadian bacon.
Can't wait to see how this turns out.
rolleyes.gif

Ultramag gave me some of his Buckboard bacon and it was fine!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The flavor varies alot with how thick you slice it. If you want it more like ham slice it thick and the thinner you slice and the longer you cook it the more it's like bacon. Sounds kinda odd, but that's the way it works out. It is good stuff either way.

Oh yea, go Mike go!!!
biggrin.gif

Mmmmmmmm Bacon
biggrin.gif
Sounds like it's time to get yourself a slicer Mike if ya don't have one yet.

Little thin, crispy slices of Pig Heaven... Sounds great Mike. Good luck to you and your BB Bacon!

I have an el cheapo slicer (ECS) I bought back in the 70's to slice lunch meat. Looks like this might be the incentive to move up!
I'll take Jane to Sam's and casually mention the bacon while in the home appliance aisle.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

Mike that bucboard cure is delish on butts, try using it on pork tenderloin,cure 5 days,smoke with hickory till internal of 158, makes very yummy canadian bacon, and also should be great with your boneless loin , enjoy and good luck
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have done alot of Buckboard bacon and I just love it, but I am one that does not like very much salt or any at all, that is just me when I take and do a boston but for Bacon when it reaches about 130 degrees I take them out and rub a generous amount of Demerara Cane Sugar and let it kind of carmelize that will balance out the salt taste on the out side of the butt if you happen not to wash of the cure after it soaks for an hour or 2.

I also will inject that same sugar in bone in loins when I cure them for smoking I take about 2 cups of the recomended amount of cure and add about 1/4 cup of the sugar and heat it in the microwave to disolve and then inject it that to me gives it a great flavor.

Daveyhunter

OK! It's been RILLY HOT the last week, and no relief in sight. However, today started cooler due to some rain north of KC. Sooooooooooooo.................
I'm going to smoke the Buckboard Bacon tonight.
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

It has cured longer than 10 days, but the instructions said a minimum of 10 days so I figure it will be OK.
Smoking it in my GOSM 3005C charcoal smoker with hickory.
Pics will follow.

I did the tenderloin thing and made canadian bacon, it came out a little salty, could be cured with just rinsing a little longer. It was great other than a little salty. I was wondering about using the BB cure on pork bellies too. I didn't thing the tenderoin tasted like bacon so I didn't know if it would cure the bellies so they taste like bacon. Haven't tried the shoulder yet...

I cured a butt for about 15-16 days and it was amazing! It was purely by accident, I was shooting for 10 days and stuff kept coming up. Every last piece got eaten though! Its replaced store bought bacon in my house!

Good Luck Mike. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Don't forget the pics.

Mags gave us the greatest pack of buckboard bacon. at the gathering this Summer. I have meted that out in very small increments.....but am about out. We gotta figure out how to do this!!!

P.s. Mike, We have the bargain slicer: Smoked and DJ Debbi recommended: Weston 9" slicer.

I could come up and help w/ refreshment Mike. I gotta stay up to get back on work schedule anyway.
wink.gif
Good luck and try to enjoy the smoke. I smoked four butts in the BDS yesterday and thought I was gonna die from heat exhaustion. Staying "hydrated" was all that saved me.
icon_redface.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky