Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am beginning to worry about you guys spending so much time together
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 but if you keep making such great looking grub I guess it is OK LOL

Keith and Walle, now that is some fine looking BBB, I love that stuff and you two seemed to have mastered the preparation and smoking of Buck Board Bacon.  As my Grandpa use to say now that's some pretty meat!  Keep up the good work and we'll be watching for your next collaborative effort.  Keep em smokin!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

I am beginning to worry about you guys spending so much time together
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 but if you keep making such great looking grub I guess it is OK LOL
Yeah Gary, I know it looks a bit suspicious.  Tracey live in a home with 4 women and I'm usually just here with my wife.  Sometimes everyone just needs a break, so Tracey and I just hang out in my garage and tell lies.
laugh1.gif

Thanks Barry, we already have our thinking caps on.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

man you have my mouth watering. I have yet to even try BBB. I don't know why
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  Just been trying to get sausage down!  Guess I'll have to do a search on it. It looks pretty basic & DELICIOUS

Keith that looks awesome... bet it won't last long...

Nice!  Love the color on those cut in half.  Did I miss the recipe?  How much of the #1 did you use per pound?  If you don't mind?
We used the standard 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds.  Guess I didn't post the recipe.  One of the photos shows the ingredients, just not the quantities.  I'll dig that out later and post it for you.

Keith that looks awesome... bet it won't last long...
Thanks Paul, it's going pretty fast.
thumb.gif

Last edited:
I'll post this for now, but I have to check with Tracey on the exact procedure since he had the recipe and wrote it down for me.  These measurements are per 5 pounds of meat except the cure #1 which is 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds.  The recipe calls for 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder plus the 1 teaspoon of cure #1 per 5 pounds of meat.  If there is any difference, I will edit the post after I speak to Tracey.  The was no heat applied to the smoker.  I simply loaded up the Amaze-n-smoker with hickory dust and ran it for about 9 hours. It came out perfect.

Last edited:
I'll post this for now, but I have to check with Tracey on the exact procedure since he had the recipe and wrote it down for me.  These measurements are per 5 pounds of meat except the cure #1 which is 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds.  The recipe calls for 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder plus the 1 teaspoon of cure #1 per 5 pounds of meat.  If there is any difference, I will edit the post after I speak to Tracey.  The was no heat applied to the smoker.  I simply loaded up the Amaze-n-smoker with hickory dust and ran it for about 9 hours. It came out perfect.
Yup - you got it, Keith.  Both the pepper and Mad Hunky added by Keith after the cure are both VERY GOOD!

That looks totally Awesome already, Keith!!!!

That's why I don't understand why everybody doesn't do "fry-tests" !!!!

Can't wait to see the final color & slices!!!!

Tracey Who?  
biggrin.gif

Bear
Come'on - IT'S ME, BC!! 
yahoo.gif

It turned out very good, and Keith did it all justice with the post and the pictures.... purdy, purdy... and tasty!

Great Looking BBB Keith!

Did you get enough smoke?

I like about 6 1/2 hours of apple wood smoke on my bacon.

Todd

Great Looking BBB Keith!

Did you get enough smoke?

I like about 6 1/2 hours of apple wood smoke on my bacon.

Todd
Hey Todd, the smoke was fairly light, but you can still taste it.  If I get things too smoky, my wife can't eat it so I hold back.  I'll have to order some apple dust to try next time.

The light color was probably due to the 70 degree smoking temps. I worked constantly to get a true cold smoke until i started realizing you get better color with temps around 100 or so. My last smoke this past weekend i set my MES at 100, it never went above 107 and the color is fantastic.

In the frig for 10 days?  turning every day?  
sorry.gif

In the frig for 10 days?  turning every day?  
sorry.gif

Sorry, I missed that part.  We actually vacuum sealed these and left them in the fridge for 14 days.  This is way longer than necessary for the thickness, but it's just the way time worked out.  I did turn them over every day or so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky