Buckboard bacon success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ecodork

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Durham, NC
After ruining more things with cure than I care to admit, I pulled off my first successful bacon cure & smoke! I'll keep it short and to the point.

Had a 6ish pounder bone-in shoulder. Following various guides and recipes on SMF I cut it into two halves lengthwise along the bone. Trimmed them up a bit so that final pre-cooked weights were 2.5# each but one was a tad thicker than the other.

Cure for the thick one was your basic Tender Quick, brown sugar, CBP.

Cure for the thin one was the above plus garlic and onion powder and some of my own chipotle powder (Doc's home-made, home-grown, & home-smoked chipotle powder).

Gave'em both 7 days in cure, vacuumed sealed in the fridge, spun'em daily.

Smoked in hickory and mesquite 5 hours around 160 - 175* until internal 135*.

Sorry, pre-today pics are trapped on my wife's camera....

Both flavors came out pretty good. Spiced one is subtly different, nowhere near overpowering.

I'm impressed. That is some great looking bacon. Never tried to make any myself but getting closer every day.
icon_smile.gif

ECO,
Sounds like you did good, and looks like you did GREAT !

For that you get some of these------->
points.gif

Congrats on some great BBB,
Bearcarver

Thanks all! Yeah, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be...just lots of little steps. I will say I'm glad I followed the Tender Quick amounts to a "T" and gave it a 4 hour soak before letting it sit overnight.

It was interesting to compare the pre-smoked I tasted during the "fry test" with the post-smoked today. Vastly different. I wasn't terribly impressed prior to the smoke but now it's great and really has that "bacony" essence.

Denver Dave, give it a shot!

Next time I'll try to track down some belly...

That's some fine looking bacon! Ya done good.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yes sir you have some fine looking bacon there Eco. I really like the baucboard bacon so much that I went to Tallahassee from Jax to cut the skin off and cure about 170 lbs on the stuff and we will me out there again this coming weekend and smoke it all to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky